1926 Buick Standard

Guest Delbert Stallings

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Delbert Stallings

I Finally have a manifold had the heat riser cross over blocked, radiator shop cleaned and ok,ed radiator,  but  it gets hot, water pump is leaking.  Do I rebuild it.   And how.    Thank

I also cleaned my head and block. Flushed it repeatedly. My pre winter season service this year I put in "evapo-rust". It worked great for a final cleaning on my 1937. Ran to Nashville TN and back during 95 degree weather. The water temp stayed at 160 most of the trip. So I will see what the spring brings. Prior to all this my radiator guy said my radiator was also clean. Still the car overheated. Not until I had a new core made was the problem solved. I still have to get to redoing my water pump as it is pretty scored. I can drive around town all week and a drip or 2 will show up. But on a long hot drive the packing nut loosened up after a 50 mile trip. Water was pouring out of the packing.

I Finally have a manifold had the heat riser cross over blocked, radiator shop cleaned and ok,ed radiator,  but  it gets hot, water pump is leaking.  Do I rebuild it.   And how.    Thank

The general concensus seems to be that you should see the odd drip from the gland in the water pump (out the front of the shaft)

Be very very very very (and I can't stress this enough) careful if you're looking for replacement parts for the water pump, we found that there is at least 3 variants for 1926