1937 DeSoto Coupe doors

alsfarms

Does anyone here know if a 1937 DeSoto two door sedan door is the same width as a coupe?  Second, does the 1937-38 coupe door from all the Chrysler products, (Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth) fit the same body?  I do know that the back top of the door has a different, (more rounded), contour from the sedans.

Al

Two door sedan doors are undoubtedly longer. Front doors off of four door sedans are probably the same length as coupes, as they were in '35 & '36, but they likely curve outward more near the top rear. At least that is the case with '35 & '36 coupe doors. If you put a front door off of a sedan on a '35 or '36 coupe, it would fit pretty well, but would stick outward at the top rear by three or four inches. I think that all '37 & '38 Chrysler products coupes have interchangeable doors, shape wise (not '37 Airflows, of course). If you get a Plymouth door, you'll have to drill holes for the stainless strip. Also, Plymouth continued to use this same body in '39. As I've suggest elsewhere, if a person were desperate enough, they could probably weld a sedan door bottom half onto a coupe door upper. I said probably, because I don't know this for sure. You would have to do some measuring to make sure.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Hello Hudsy Wudsy and other readers,  I have a collection of parts to include a decent complete 1937 DeSoto 4 door sedan donor.  I also have the back half of a solid coupe body and another "not so nice" complete coupe body for donor parts.  I think I can put all the parts in a great big sack and shake it real good and come up with a complete 1937 DeSoto business coupe.......which is my intent.  I do have a workable trunk lid, a pair of so-so coupe doors and all the rest of the body and fender works.  I do lack a correct front bumper.  On the bumpers.....If needed, I do have a pair of 1937-38 Chrysler Royale bumpers to use but prefer to find a proper front bumper or at least another rear bumper that I can remake to be a front bumper.  Can anyone help?  Now back on the door issue.  My doors have a rash of bullet holes, which can be fixed but, I would sooner save time if possible.  The 1937 DeSoto 4 door sedan doors I have are not the same width as are the coupe doors, they are more narrow.  That is why I post the question about 2 door sedan doors, likely they are too wide as suggested.  So, I will probably start hammering bullet holes shut and weld them up.  Hmmm, I guess I could tell a big yarn and build the coupe with the bullet holes in the doors and brag that it was in a shoot out with Bonnie and Clyde.....what a farce!  I have heard those kinds of "sales pitch" stories before however.  If you have any additional observations or notes of encouragement, I am ready to listen.

Al

While it's not to my liking, some folks go out and buy little decals that resemble bullet holes because they think everything built before the war has some "gangster" connotation. You might be considered quite "hip" in some circles. I guess that you could have the holes filled and the doors well finished by the time you would find useable doors.

Hello Hudsy Wudsy and other readers,  I have a collection of parts to include a decent complete 1937 DeSoto 4 door sedan donor.  I also have the back half of a solid coupe body and another "not so nice" complete coupe body for donor parts.  I think I can put all the parts in a great big sack and shake it real good and come up with a complete 1937 DeSoto business coupe.......which is my intent.  I do have a workable trunk lid, a pair of so-so coupe doors and all the rest of the body and fender works.  I do lack a correct front bumper.  On the bumpers.....If needed, I do have a pair of 1937-38 Chrysler Royale bumpers to use but prefer to find a proper front bumper or at least another rear bumper that I can remake to be a front bumper.  Can anyone help?  Now back on the door issue.  My doors have a rash of bullet holes, which can be fixed but, I would sooner save time if possible.  The 1937 DeSoto 4 door sedan doors I have are not the same width as are the coupe doors, they are more narrow.  That is why I post the question about 2 door sedan doors, likely they are too wide as suggested.  So, I will probably start hammering bullet holes shut and weld them up.  Hmmm, I guess I could tell a big yarn and build the coupe with the bullet holes in the doors and brag that it was in a shoot out with Bonnie and Clyde.....what a farce!  I have heard those kinds of "sales pitch" stories before however.  If you have any additional observations or notes of encouragement, I am ready to listen.

Al

There is an outfit in Vancouver Washington that makes hot rod bumpers that are based on the 37 Desoto bumpers. They are extruded aluminum and you can order them plain or polished. 

I had a set made once, I sent them a pattern where I took a big piece of paper and drew the curve of my mounts and they sent me bumpers that fit perfectly.

http://www.brizbumpers.com/