Aux. trans install in an early 30's car, questions

alsfarms

Has anyone had experience with an OD aux. trans. like a Mitchell or equivalent, installed in an early 30's big series Nash?  My second question is this; has anyone come up with a retrofit u-joint assembly to replace the original style flex disc joints in the Nash and others?  If you have any thoughts, please share them here as I have picked up a small midship aux. OD unit that will result in a 25% OD and am looking very seriously at an install in my big series 1930 Nash.
Alan Dewsnup

My Pontiac had "Mechanics" u-joints.  Three machine shops said they were almost impossible to repair or duplicate.  I had the yokes cut off and yokes for the standard 50's 60's spicer u- joints welded on.  Have never had a problem since.  Look up a shop, transmission or otherwise that balances drive shafts.  Simple straight forward  machine shop work.

Thanks for the note regarding U-joints.  I suppose the flex disc type flex joint is OK for low speed.  However, as I plan to install a mid-ship Aux OD unit and increase the driveshaft speed, I want the drive line to be as good as it can be.  Hoping to keep vibration to a minimum.

Not sure what you mean by flex disc universals, but Mercedes used a ring shaped rubber universal in the sixties on cars that would do over 100 MPH. These were IRS cars so not much flex involved. Flexible universals are still used in industrial applications of better quality than was available in the thirties. Possibly an industrial supply place could find some to fit your car.

Yes, Owen-Dyneto has it right.  I suppose this disc type universal is OK but I hear of many Nash guys that have drive-line vibration stemming from these flex discs.  Now, is there a rule of thumb for placement of a mid-ship aux. OD in the drive-line?  How far from the trans.  How much angle of deflection is best.  Second hand information suggests a certain amount of angle is important.

Al

Al, 

I had lots of problems with the "universal joints" in my '32 Marmon.  Although they weren't the rubber/fabric type, the universal joints were surrounded with a cup that that was filled with grease.  After removing and cleaning and filling the cap with grease,  Red grease slung from both ends at highway speed. You can see it in the photos.

I took them off and inspected them several time but never found any obvious flaws.  My mechanic who is also a machinist built adapters at the transmission and rear end.  No more problems and had a new drive shaft fitted.

post-139523-0-14862500-1452259004_thumb.

post-139523-0-31148900-1452259034_thumb.

post-139523-0-44482000-1452259066_thumb.

post-139523-0-71770700-1452259091_thumb.

post-139523-0-93350700-1452259119_thumb.

post-139523-0-90549000-1452259512_thumb.

Thanks for your note.  I see the problem you had would "bug" me also.  Your remedy is a very good idea to resolve an uncomfortable issue while keeping your car on the road using a better technology.  My Nash does not throw grease but the fiber flex disc's do allow for more unbalance in the driveshaft than what I want to deal with.  In some form I will be dealing with a new drive-line also.  What road speed do you get from your Marmon?  I used to own a couple of Marmons.  They are fine and very under-rated automobiles.

Al

Ricosan,

I have the same type of universals in my 1932 Dodge Brothers.  After I took them apart, I discovered that the cork gasket had totally dried out and needed to be replaced.  This may be why the grease was escaping.

IMG_6793_zpswv0bmvdh.jpg

IMG_6794_zps59vfuskv.jpg

IMG_6797_zpsm0t4ihei.jpg

Talormade,

I think you are right.  When I took the cup off that covers the u-joints in my Marmon there was absolutely no sign of any cork.  It must have rotted away years ago and never replaced.  I think that the cork would have stopped the grease. 

My other problem was that I could find no replacement for my original u-joints.  I've saved the old driveshaft in case someone wants it back to original.  Just a matter of bolting it back up.

ricosan

Guest newbymachineworks

Talormade,

I think you are right.  When I took the cup off that covers the u-joints in my Marmon there was absolutely no sign of any cork.  It must have rotted away years ago and never replaced.  I think that the cork would have stopped the grease. 

My other problem was that I could find no replacement for my original u-joints.  I've saved the old driveshaft in case someone wants it back to original.  Just a matter of bolting it back up.

ricosan

A modern Spicer cross can be modified to fit. Caps need diameter reduced.