She wants a new dipstick

PWB

- don't they all?

Any way, my '67 has (among many issues) an after market engine dipstick. Here is a NOS on eBay.

But I don't know if my girl can handle the length. :o  Did the '67 have a deep sleeve like the one here? It appears like a tranny stick and not an engine stick?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-76-Buick-400-430-455-Dipstick-Tube-/270754653200?hash=item3f0a3c2410:g:PogAAOSwDNdVqWD6&vxp=mtr

post-155663-0-19690300-1451835323_thumb.

On my 67 the dipstick, which I think is original, measures 20 1/4 " from end to end, including the curved part where your finger hooks and pulls it out. The part # is 1373406. It says "cap 4 qts". According to the shop manual, our engines capacity is " 3.3 to 4.2 qts - refill"  and 4.2-5 gts "dry engine". The higher numbers from each quote are for "with dry oil filter". Always wondered about those readings and why they're written that way.

post-128204-0-40297400-1451857473_thumb.

- don't they all?

Any way, my '67 has (among many issues) an after market engine dipstick. Here is a NOS on eBay.

But I don't know if my girl can handle the length. :o  Did the '67 have a deep sleeve like the one here? It appears like a tranny stick and not an engine stick?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-76-Buick-400-430-455-Dipstick-Tube-/270754653200?hash=item3f0a3c2410:g:PogAAOSwDNdVqWD6&vxp=mtr

attachicon.gif67 dipstick.jpg

This is not the correct dipstick-tube. This tube would be for the inline 6 cyl engine where it has a tube coming out of the block for the tube to down into the block. The 430-455 engines used a tube that has a small metal piece like a flat washer that acts as a stop as the dipstick goes into a hole directly in the block. I've checked my Buick master parts catalogs and it shows the same dipstick for the 67 430 engines and the 455 engines.  If you need me to take a picture of the dipstick from my 71, let me know.

Bob Bonto 

430 engines, and perhaps some 455's did not have a 'dip stick' tube per say. There was just an access hole in the block between the exhaust manifold and the left head.A flat washer style cap was fastened to a calibrated flat steel 'dip stick' that simply was inserted into the access hole in the block.

In the '68 Chassis Manual it's called: Rod-Adapter, Crankcase Oil Guage, and the p/n for 430's is Grp.1.516, #1373406.

The part number is stamped on the Dip Stick, or Rod-Adapter, whichever you prefer. 

• Great info all, thank you.
  • Rocky, my engine stick is an exact match. I didn't think it was original because it seems so loose with no sealing action. Are we missing a seal?

If your dipstick is loose, right below the metal stop piece are the flanges, take a large flat blade screwdriver and slightly bend them out, that will put more tension when it goes into the hole of the block. That should make for a good tight seal.

Bob Bonto

There it is, #1373406 right on mine. Now to polish her up and paint the handle. Hmmm Red or Black? :rolleyes:

It should be red like the engine block, but polish it real good and shiny, and clear coat the looped handle portion only, for that almost chrome look !