BUICK SALES AND SERVICE sign at auction

And I was just in your neighborhood last week...

With more cars that are static than moving at the moment, I would rather put $425 into one of them to get it mobile again (one goes just fine, stopping is the sketchy part).  

As a consolation, maybe I'll make a repro for my dad...

That is where I am putting my money at the moment.

Oh that is precisely why I did not go to the auction. Heck I'm trying to scrape enough money up just to buy a set of tires. What  really hurts  though is that I paid the exact same dollars plus traveled to Savannah TN  for almost the same sign but in much worse condition about two years ago.

post-77380-0-50324600-1452136092_thumb.jpost-77380-0-07784100-1452136102_thumb.j

And I was just in your neighborhood last week...

With more cars that are static than moving at the moment, I would rather put $425 into one of them to get it mobile again (one goes just fine, stopping is the sketchy part).  

As a consolation, maybe I'll make a repro for my dad...

Matt, if you're ever this way again don't hesitate to call and come by. and re making a repro, I am planning on making a rather large one (6'x8') with the early BUICK script logo in early spring. Do you perhaps possess some sign making skills? :)

Matt, if you're ever this way again don't hesitate to call and come by. and re making a repro, I am planning on making a rather large one (6'x8') with the early BUICK script logo in early spring. Do you perhaps possess some sign making skills? :)

Guilty.  I'm a propulsion systems engineer by day, but I've been known to make a sign or two in my spare time.  I'll be dragging a (static) Buick through Georgia in a couple weeks, but it will be at an ungodly hour so we'll have to catch you another time.

I wasn't going to reveal these until later, but I do have a question.  The auction said the sign was 71x64, but when I straightened your photo and stretched it to those dimensions, it looked really wrong.  What is the size of your sign?

post-154695-0-12699900-1452148669_thumb.

post-154695-0-28493500-1452148670_thumb.

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

Wow that is looking crisp and clear. I assume you are creating something you can project onto a sign blank and trace and paint the letters etc? Maybe a thread dedicated to "Painting a Buick sign" would be of interest and certainly helpful for my future project.  :) 

Actually, I have a plotter that will either cut the letters out of white vinyl graphic material that I would apply to a painted sheet of aluminum, or cut a stencil for painting the letters...

There is stencil specific material available for my machine, but here's some painting I did with a vinyl stencil.

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

• 1 month later...