Secondary Brake Shoe

mribbich@wi.rr.com

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marv, 

Ok, I went through my Brake Shoe ID Catalog, and came up with the image below as the closest fit, based on the specs you gave. The specific shapes and hole locations seem to be the same. But note that the shoe in the drawing has a reinforcement spot welded or riveted on at the the top end (at left, in the drawing). Does your shoe have a reinforcement, perhaps on the back side of your photo? I also note that the image in my catalog features 9 holes, while your photo shows only 8. The dimensions listed for this shoe in the catalog are 14 X 2-1/4". You listed it as 14 X 2. 

Moreover, your description says the shoe is for 14" brake drum (nominal-size I.D.). Are you certain of this spec? This is not the dimension of the length of the shoe from one end to the other. Rather it is the dimension of the inner diameter of the drum. Perhaps you should draw a 14" diameter circle with a compass and see if it exactly matches the curve of your lined shoe? Also, verify that width. 

The only vehicles I could find listed for this shoe number were IHC trucks, various models, from 1961 to 1968. 14" diameter drums are pretty big, so it may be for heavy duty models. But this catalog is not designed for collectors or repairmen. It is for rebuilders and/or manufacturers. So it is somewhat difficult to use to pin down exact models. 

This catalog was produced in 1971, and seems to go back as far as 1961, for listings. 

Good luck. 

Brake Shoe ID image Lo Rez.jpg

The book I have shows that the IHC trucks using shoe #63 would have the reinforcement on both primary and secondary shoes, for whatever that may be worth. Also, the catalog lists the same shoe using different linings in different applications. So the rivet holes may have been different in some applications. Who knows? 

Perhaps your shoe is for an IHC older than 1961, since that is as far back as my catalog goes. 

Good luck. I hope you find it.