WTK o.a.l. of spare tire strap ; side mount

Hello All;

I ask same in Dodge Brother threads below no response . I have a half of spare tire strap for Dodge /Graham side mount .Want to reproduce accurate copy need overall length and hole to hole . Original where very unique in buckle attaching with staples, nails and sewing . Had 1" roller buckle and two keepers opposite each other .

My suggestion would be to make a trial strap out of canvas or similar stiff non-stretch material, leaving some extra langth, fasten temporarily to the various hardware, and install over tire/wheel in well and secure it up using the buckles etc a level of fit you are happy with, and then mark where holes should go to suit application. Then also mark for finished length, including any taper of special rounded cut at end. Then disassemble and give this to your leather strap maker as the pattern. There are many variables in the finished length, including specifically diameter of tire/rim, method of fastening to buckles, and length will vary as much as an inch for a nearly worn tire versus a brand new one. Also tire size will affect length and tightness. Just my 2C's worth. There is a risk in getting a dimension from somneone else as the application/hardware may not be entirely the same. 

I might be showing my ignorance here, but by your heading, I had no idea what this thread was about.

Some people will not look at all the threads and if the "headline" does not grab them, then they wont look

You could call the thread "boobies", you will get a lot of looks and comments, but maybe not about what your wanting to know :) :)

Mick

Thanks Gunsmoke , I'm not looking for being utilitarian, much as historical accurate . Having original buckle half , figured somebody would have other half or whole unit . An original unit of a leather strap 85 years old will most likely be hard and dry rotted . And where more than likely change throughout the years . So finding a original or accurate repro quite unique .

Thanks also Ttotired , The title was abbreviated as the forum shows for WTS,WTB, WTK wants to know . I guess saying boob mount at end would have keep thread near top . But only open me up for an edit putting the word boob in the front . Ha! Boob WTK .o.a.l. . :lol:  :D  :P ...

• 2 weeks later...

Another "off the wall". Might those straps be dealer installations? If so, they just bought in something, perhaps from a saddler, and fitted it. There may be no original correct shape and length if that were the case - each dealer might do their own thing.

I had a look through the car Master Parts List but saw no such straps listed there.