Zenith Updraft 1930 carburetor

Guest wjg1948

Guest wjg1948

!930 Ford A Model with Zenith Iron carburetor will only run when choke rod is unscrewed about 1 1/2 turn. Never had the problem before. Any help out there? Thanks WJ

Guest newbymachineworks

Check fuel pump also . My diaphragm became stretched and starved the carb of fuel the hotter it got and more I used . Maybe aux . inlet on carb . remove plug see what pressure is like remember normal is low 1 to 2 lbs. I think . mine barely dribbled out when idling with cap right out .

If this is a Model A Ford there wouldn't be a fuel pump.

How cold is it where you live? If it is very cold you will  need the auxiliary fuel opened farther until warmed up. If not that I would check for dirt plugging a jet or passage.

Edited by newbymachineworks (see edit history)

Gotta give the Zenith people credit for developing methods for making microscopic holes that long ago.......  :blink:

The copycat Tillotsons are about the same which is why I don't like either one.

If you're going to run one or the other you'd better have a real good filter between the tank and carb.

Anecdote... I knew a bloke 15-20 years ago with a lovely Model A he restored. When he presented it to the club he said he went through 40 (yes, forty!) carbs before he found one that worked properly and the car ran properly on. And boy that car ran well. I think the castings were poor or becoming porous after 75+ years.