Who has worked on a car from some else??

nick8086

Guest AlCapone

You have not worked on a car in 30 years, You must. have a very large collection ! How many do you have ?

I have 19 and I try to drive 2 or 3 different ones every week. I do a visual check on every one every week and every two weeks one gets a spray detailing. Regards, Wayne

P.s. I must admit I do none of the mechanical work as I leave that to an expert. Had I not been ill I would have added at least two more from the Wednesday BJ sale.

What is worse is when the manufacturer changes the plug but not the number. At one point I found the coupe had a mix of platinum pin tips and carbon broad tips. All Rapidfire #3.

3vs14a.jpg

I would guess that the middle plug was made by AC Sparkplug in Flint before it was closed.  The other two, also GM plugs but who knows where made.

I had a Buick Nailhead rebuilt by a reputable shop. It wasn't till it failed, making a horrible knocking noise, that I found that they had forgot to measure, or couldn't read Plastigauge properly, all the main earnings.  That was a Large $$$ mistake and unfortunately the shop was out of business by the time I got the engine running.

Just worked on a 1919 Buick that I believe someone had used an impact wrench on to install the rod & main bearings.  They were on so tight that I could not get the engine to turn over and I almost needed a large breaker bar to get the rod & main bolts loose to correctly shim the bearings to the correct clearance USING PLASTIGAGE.

I lost count of the number of cars that I worked on that had electrical problems that someone else worked on. 

Typically the idiots get a "test light" and start taking connectors apart and jamming the test light probe into the connector terminals damaging so they will never make contact.  End up replacing dozens of terminals to fix the individual vehicle.

Or the S-10 truck that I bought that just had the second or third transmission in it because it just kept burning up.  Found that the transmission cooler was totally plugged and would not let any fluid through it.  Took a while to flush it and when the blockage broke free there was a big slug of junk just come out of it everywhere.  Never had another problem with the transmission.

And the list go on and on and on...........................

Back in the 1980's we were getting a lot of collector cars from the southeastern states. We pretty much agreed that there was an itinerant mechanic named Jimmy Joe (last name possibly Homes or Ohms) who went around cutting wiring harnesses. We knew he wore a big belt buckle with steer horns and his waist was about even with a typical 1950's car fender, just about a six footer, although he could hunker down to '59 or '60 Chevy height.

Wherever you are now, Jimmy, I'd like to thank you for the electrical work you sent me and the paint work you sent my friend. You done good by us.

Bernie

You have not worked on a car in 30 years, You must. have a very large collection ! How many do you have ?

I have 19 and I try to drive 2 or 3 different ones every week. I do a visual check on every one every week and every two weeks one gets a spray detailing. Regards, Wayne

P.s. I must admit I do none of the mechanical work as I leave that to an expert. Had I not been ill I would have added at least two more from the Wednesday BJ sale.

You must. have a very large collection ! How many do you have ? Well Dad had most of them... I did buy a ford for 75.00 once and drove it home..

I did not take a picture of it at the time..... Here is one from the web;; Same color..

post-139936-0-37594900-1454552199_thumb.

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)