1936 Buick Special

1956cody

While driving my 36-40 today I hit a bump, as opposed to a pothole, and my steering wheel started vibrating/shaking pretty hard. I pulled over and looked for any obvious problem and saw that there was none. I was able to drive back to my garage with no trouble,thankfully, though I know there must be a root cause. I am hoping someone here will be able to advise me as to what I should do to find and correct this problem. Much thanks to all those that read and post replies on these threads. Frank

Normally this is caused by worn out front end parts. Check king pins and tie rod ends, usually both need to be rebuilt. Check all connections from steering box pitman arm and all other grease fitting connections. If the kingpins are worn it will require new king pin bushings and possibly king pins. The parts are readily available and can be done yourself or shop around for a decent front end shop to do the labor after you buy the parts.

Thanks gentlemen for the insight. I will probably try to properly inspect these parts this weekend. It seems the passenger side tie rod end is not "centered" in the idler arm (if I got that right) leading me to suspect it came loose upon hitting the proverbial bump in the road.