pink/black inverters

harry yarnell

The apparent difference is in the load capacity. EL draws more current (logically) as the size of the strip or panel increases. I would surmise the console inverter (black one) has greater output as the console has the window, mirror and gear selector indicators to power. The dash (pink) inverter only powers the headlight and wiper switch back lights. That said, there is little difference in the two it seems as the total surface being driven is nearly the same in both cases. Note that the CRT border legends are powered by am inverter contained within the touchscreen assembly.

Also keep in mind that the 86/87 Riviera from which the Reatta interior is derived had EL backlit seat control swtiches on both doors. This was omitted in 88 models for both the Riviera and Reatta. So there is the possibility that the pink inverter is higher output since I think the door panel seat control switches were powered off the dash circuit and not the console. This is supposition on my part but I wonder if the same dash inverter from 86/87 was retained rather than developing a new one with less output a since two less backlights were being driven.

Will need to lookup the pinout later tonight when I'm back home and have access to the FSM unless someone else posts if first.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

The problem is in the headlight switch.

Getting the car in a dark garage, I could cycle the headlight switch, and the backlites would come on maybe 1/4 of the time.

I would still like a pinout so I can bench test the spare inverters I have.

Thanks in advance.

Who on this list is rebuilding (repairing) these switches?

I took one apart years ago, and pieces went flying everywhere. I know when to avail myself of other peoples talents.

At least 10 years ago, I found the company that made them .......I did a post at the time they listed 4 different part numbers and had a couple hundred of one but just a handful of the others.

They offered them at around $50 each which I thought was high and I was not interested especially at that price.

I don't recall them offering any specs for the different part numbers.   The company was Endicott Research, Endicott NY

Barney,

Dave followed up on that a couple (few?) years back and they had a limited number of pink ones left but no atock for the black one. He bought a couple, I bought three by piggybacking on his order (this was before I even owned an 88 in fact) which I still have packed away. I seem to recall they were planning to discard the remaining stock not too long after a few of us made an unexpected quantity buy directly from them. These were obsolete in their view and there had been no interest in the part in years until Dave decided to order some. Guess it wouldn't hurt to call them again and see if they still have any but wouldn't be surprised if they were gone by now.

KDirk

Kevin has most of the story right. It was about 6 years ago as it was the year I had my colon cancer surgery and I was wondering if this was something I should be doing. At any rate I contacted Endicott, got a price, came back to the forum and put together a "group buy". I believe I ordered about 20 units and the price was about $22.00-$23.00 delivered to the guys on the forum. I had them sent to me and I then repackaged them and shipped them out to the guys on the forum.  I charged a buck or so more to allow me to get two for myself as a "commission".

About 3-6 months later they called me and asked if I wanted any more as they were going to "destroy" them. I passed on them as I didn't want to go through this "group buy" again. 

At the time I dealt with them they were out of console units, and were just selling the dash units. I never was too interested in the console inverters as I had come up with the LED console backlight and was happy with the illumination from that. 

So if Kevin placed an order after me he got the last of them.

I have grabbed a couple from the dashes of the cars at Gibson's so am sitting on two new ones and one/two used ones.

There are no console ones as I believe Kevin grabbed those whenever he comes up junkin...

I have accumulated a few more used pink ones here and there as well as a couple of black. Not so much inclined to sell them as I like having spares for the long term but if someone is really desperate I might be persuaded to free up a couple from the stash.

FWIW, I tore apart one that had failed. It is fully potted in what resembles silicone tub caulk. This very difficult to open much less expose the cicuit inside. What I discovered is that it is a very small circuit board with some substandard soldering work. Reflowing the bad solder joints restored it to proper functioning but by then the plastic casing was shredded and I never got to finding a way to safely insulate and enclose it. So, they are repairable after a fashion if no spares can be located.

KDirk

I think the future will be the "Haves" verses the "Have Nots". If I get something NOS [these inverters, Teves Pressure Switches, etc] I am inclined to keep them, but will sell used inventory [inverters, IPC's, CRT's, etc] as long as I see used Reattas and Rivs being driven around. Just last week I saw two Rivs I hadn't seen before so that tells me my parts source is still good. I also have made a decision to sacrifice the Black to keep the Red going should that need ever arises. Of course that means driving the Red year round, but at 59 it won't really matter for rust as it seems to take 15-20 years for the real rust issues to be a problem. 

And as good as the Black seems to be now that could be 4-5 years before I have to strip it. So I would be 75-80 years old. Seems so far away, but it also is so close.

• 2 years later...

I tried and opened the pink inverter as my dash was not working anymore. I opened the dash first, no signs of burns, tested the inverter, cut the pink plastic, found a snaped solder and some damaged wires of the small transformer.  I'll try and come with some pics of the cleaned inverter. I did not get all the caulk off, but does the small transformer have any specs writen on it? I'm not an experienced electrician, but can solder something if I have the piece in front of me :) I can even use the same board... 

PS: this is my '88 Reatta (we are the same age). It's a Ca car so absolutely no rust,  I tried and fixed most of the engine/trans problems, got it up-to-date with the maintenance, fixed some electric problems (including a faulty headlight switch), but still have this dash problem that just came up and faulty headlight motors which I hope I'll fix soon... 

12.jpg

Well, then it seems that it failed the same time... Or to be honest, I do not even remember those lights... Not sure why I was under the impression that those are related. Well was planing on getting a dash too so, can you please send me an email with a total for a dash and a pink inverter? 

Seems that our esteemed colleague was kind enough to help me with those two parts that I needed... Chapeaux Mister! 

Meanwhile, I got a mail from ERG power saying that they do have this part in stock (the pink inverters) but it seems a bit pricey. I do not know if the deal is for the 4 for 100 (if I remember right) or only 1 for...100$. I quote: "Repair parts go for $100 +S&H" . Best of luck! 

And here I post again. I am able to fix one more thing (or two) with the help of our coleague Dave, to whom I am grateful for all the help. Thus I now have a working dash and... lights on the buttons right of the steering wheel. Still a lot of work left with this car and even though was on the road daily, I want to partialy retire it, problem is I'm running out of parking places. since I took the dash out, I observed a "minus one" ABS light bulb; combine that with a frayed left wheel ABS sensor cable. My imediate conclusion => ABS has a problem, now with the new dash with the bulb in place, that was confirmed. Will read the codes soon, but I guess it's not a big surprise if both the front sensors are bad.

Even though I got a full box of vehicle history with maintenance and preventive care, I still find some things that were just covering problems. The first was the problem with the headlights and tail lights - fuse was out -> because of the light switch. Second with the abs. Hope I'll not find more :)

Glad everything is in and working.

Looks like the "light" panel in the headlight switch is bad. So the choice is to run with the light not working or replace the switch.I have extra headlight switches and front wheel speed sensor leads available. Contact me if you need anything.