Sealing the Water Distribution Tube

midman

Figured I'd tap all the knowledge on the forum once again. I did a search but didn't find anything.

I am working on reassembling my 31 90 series and am detailing the engine. After removing and cleaning the water tube on top of the head I found a few pinholes that had not shown themselves before. Has anyone tried a procedure like the gas tank sealers on these before? I'm not sure how the temperature and water flow would affect the sealer. No pressure to speak of so no problems there. The tube does not seem overly thinned out so I might try welding as well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chuck

Midman, that word 'weld' on that thin of wall tubing scares the begeezus out of me.  You might try taking it to your local radiator shop and ask if they can 'solder' your pin holes for you.  I have three of these old Buicks with the same type of water return tube on top of the block.  I literally cut the center section out of two them and turned a solid piece of brass to the correct taper after the piece was gun drilled.  I then had an old time pipeline welder silver solder the joints and a couple of pin holes for me.  I then used a belt sander to finess the joints ready for plating.  A lot of work, but, the result was beautiful.  Just remember, the word is solder and not weld.  You want to keep the heat as absolutely low as possible or you will have a mess on your hands.  Been there and done that and know what works.  After the plating was done I got a quart of Red Kote Fuel Tank Sealer from Restoration Supply and coated the inside of the tube and let it dry for about 10 days before putting it into service.  Works beautifully.  Anti-Freeze and cooling system temperatures will not affect the coating in any way.  If you have questions please feel free to call me.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Phone/Fax - (620) 665-7672

Jim, that is the way to go if you decided to make a new tube.  You are right, the stainless will polish up very nicely.  It sounded to me like he wanted to keep and use the original tube.  In going that route one is limited to what you can do and what will work well.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I knew I could count on you guys! Lots of good ideas. I guess I'll leave the welder holstered for this one. I believe I'll try pacrat's Devcon idea. There are only 4 small pinholes and the rest of the tube seems to be solid. For a backup I'll get all the dimensions in case I need to fabricate one down the road. Thanks.

• Like 1