Need a measurement - '31 8-67

JoelsBuicks

I am in the process of rewooding my '31 8-67 and there is a body width measurement that I need.  I hope that the pics will clearly show what and where to measure.  Basically it is a width measurement across the body at the rear door hinge posts.post-98687-0-77300200-1446834727_thumb.j

I have this feeling that my unsupported body has "slumped" a little.  I'm talking about my car!

Thank you,

Joel

post-98687-0-26289400-1446834742_thumb.j

post-98687-0-51413500-1446834758_thumb.j

Problem is that I have no idea if it would help. I suppose that in the absence of any other measurement, it would be more than I had. I read my tape measure at 60-1/16" and so if your measurement was ~close~ to that it might be good to know.

Let's give this some time and I'll let you know. Thanks so much for your offer to help.

Joel

I have at least two body repair manuals that cover this car and neither gets close to providing the information I need. I'm hoping to get a measurement on a like model.

Have you seen manuals that have this kind of information? Perhaps I don't have the right one.

Thanks, Joel

• Like 1

i think you need to set the door in,to get square.a car body you always start at the 1/4 panel gap and move forward.maybe follow the curve on the sill also.went to the garage to get a measurment then i rembered the car is geting ineterior .getting old.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still hoping for a measurement from someone who has a '31 - 67.  I can always build the door to fit the opening but I'd like to get that opening as right as possible. Without the wood and without the metal brace, the sides are free to move.  My doors are, at this time, without any wood and so do not offer any clue as to shape.  I'm quickly nearing this decision point so if you know someone with one of these cars, send me a PM with contact information. 

Thank you,

Joel

Wow, it looks like you're right, the body dimension transcends the model - at least at this point.  I'm very surprised but pleasantly surprised because I am confident that I can use the 59-1/4 or 59-1/2 and be right. 

On Tuesday, I took another look and using the new wood post that I have made, the metal, when pressed tight against the wood is pulling in slightly on both sides.  I'm going to be in good shape.

Pacrat, can you do me a favor and post another pic of your sill wood but on the other side?  It doesn't look like what I have but I'd still like to see the other side.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to measure your cars.  You all suspected something that I didn't and I learned something very useful. 

Joel

• Like 1

Thank you all very much again for your help with my question. Now, I can move forward with confidence about the correct dimension.

Pacrat, thank you for the pics. The 32 is significantly different than 31 but I find it interesting that the sill piece is pieced together both in thickness and width. It looks like red oak but hard to tell for sure from the pics.

Ernie, after learning that the dimension is the same across the different models, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for the 1930. Just a few days ago I found your thread on the AACA forum. You have documented the old wood and I may need to get with you for how the wood was configured at the upper rear and front top where my wood was completely gone.

Thanks again,

Joel