1927 dodge starting

Guest 60willys

Guest 60willys

We have just purchased a 1927 Dodge Brothers Roadster and have no idea if we need to know anything special about starting it. Manual spark advance, priming or anything. We expect to see the car tomorrow for the first time. Thanks, George

Good evening , George , I am not familiar with Dodges of that era. I have mid '20s Cadillacs , and there is a sequence of procedures very different from not only modern cars , but also from contemporary cars with different types of fuel delivery. The guys who will give you this info will want to know how long it has been since it was last started. I am sure you will enjoy your "new" toy ! Easy does it with old machinery , and unless you are 100% sure of the maintenance history of the brakes , thoroughly prepare them for road service. - Carl

Guest 60willys

Thanks, I am familiar with Model T's but have never seen a Dodge up close. It is a frame off Resto that came from the same shop as my 36 Ford Tudor resto. They were driving it this week so it is ready to run.

That's good news , George. Startup will be routine then (whatever that particular routine may be). Hopefully someone who knows that routine will respond. Again , in general , I retard fully whether using the starter , or pulling the crank for a crowd pleasing show. The old Cads have a primer (choke) on the instrument panel. One pull for my cars after fuel pressure is pumped up. There are primer cups which can help the crank show. On startup with all cars it is a good idea to keep your eyes on the oil pressure. I sometimes have to prime my oil pump if the car has been parked for some time nose up. No problem for me , as I have a priming accumulator plumbed in. I hope someone who can show you the procedures will be available for you. I also hope the weather is good for a drive ! You will absolutely love that fine old car ! Drive it in the frame of mind of the middle age gent who was the original owner. He would have lived half his life in horse drawn days , and might only have owned a Model T prior to this comparatively high performance car. Don't compare it to , or force it to keep up with modern cars , of course. Please let everyone know how you are getting on , and your driving impressions. Comparisons to a "T" , or even a horse drawn conveyance would be interesting. Particularly up hills ! Have fun ! - Carl

We have just purchased a 1927 Dodge Brothers Roadster and have no idea if we need to know anything special about starting it. Manual spark advance, priming or anything. We expect to see the car tomorrow for the first time. Thanks, George

Check out the Dodge Bros section of this web site. There was a thread posting recently. Post your question there.

Guest 60willys

Thank for the help. Cars are here and the seller called and said retard it and hit the starter and sure enough started first time over.

Yeah , George , I'll show you mine if you show me yours. 1924 7 passenger touring , and 1927 standard 5 passenger sedan. These old Cadillacs are unrestored originals. The '24 unfortunately suffered a repaint over 50 years ago , but fortunately in original colors. They run rather well , though being unrestored they keep you busy. I have put a few thousand miles on the old "Summer Car" , and hope to do likewise with the newer "Winter Car" starting this Winter. I wish you many happy miles of safe driving in your great old cars ! - Carl

post-139274-0-08939600-1446845616_thumb.

post-139274-0-15958900-1446845704_thumb.

post-139274-0-15167200-1446845806_thumb.

post-139274-0-84300900-1446845900_thumb.

• 3 years later...

Just sifting randomly, came across this. Anyone know George ? As you can see, he came in 3 1/2 years ago and disappeared. Such an active, knowledgeable guy with so many diverse talents and interests. I hope he is OK. But he is almost as old as I am..........  -  Carl