New guy asking; 1942 Buick radiator & fuel tank issues

tinsled

Hi Folks,

New here, but been around the car hobby most of my life...

Now I am looking to continue a miscarried restoration of a 1942 Buick Roadmaster.

The car is missing the radiator and fuel tank.

I found the tanks at Bob's Automobilia, CA  - model B1D- However there are four alternative filler tube locations. (10" / 11,5"/12,5"/13,5" from front corner)

B-1D.jpg

Which one is correct for my car?

Radiator seems to be harder to find.

What are the Buick radiator dimensions? (The car is not yet with me, thus cannot measure...)

Could one adapt e.g. late 40's chevy truck radiator on the same space?

Dimensions:
Hose fittings 1-1/2" inlet and 1-3/4" outlet
High volume 1" core (2 rows)
Core size 18-1/2" X 20-5/8"

AL4754CH.jpg

Thanks,

T.S.

Where are you located? I just had my '41 radiator recored at a shop in Story City IA and the owner was talking about a guy taking over a restoration and needed a radiator. I have a spare '41 radiator and I'm sure someone else on this forum would know if 41 and 42 were the same?

Hi Plyroadking,

I am actually based in Finland, the car is being shipped from L.A., CA.

Your tag rings familiar, I'm also at P15-D24 mopar flathead forum (my other car is 1948 D24, tag Uncle-Pekka)

However, back to the issue here: I would pay the shipping of your radiator to L.A. in case it will fit the '42 and price is right...

What about the tank filler dimensions?

Does anyone have clear rule, which filler position is right for a '42 Buick?
Are there differences in tand for the different model series? (40/50/60/70, roadmaster being the 70-series?)

Thanks,

Pekka aka T.S.

I just found web pages of a radiator repair shop with photos of most US cars radiators.

Unfortunately it looks like 1942...48 Buicks had special design compared to 1941 (an older)

This is 1941 radiator (1940 similar but the inlet & outlet in different locations)

1940%20and%201941%20Buick%20Radiators.jp

This is 1942...-48 radiator...

1942-1948%20Buick%20Radiator.jpg

Can anybody tell me the 1942...48 radiator external dimensions?

Edited by tinsled (see edit history)

Are there differences in tand for the different model series? (40/50/60/70, roadmaster being the 70-series?).

The 40 & 50 series have a 248 ci engine

The 60 & 750 series have a 320 ci engine

So expect - guess there are differences in the radiators

This is a Roadmaster with the 320 cid engine.

I would also be happy to use an aftermarket radiator, but need dimensions to pick the right size...

What about the tank?

The B-1 tank measures  31.5" x 27.5" x 7.5", but three alternative filler neck locations - Anyone who knows what it should be?

According to my parts book, 60, 70, and 90 series use the same radiator. 40 and 50 series are different. Also, fuel tanks fit the following.

1941-1942 40, 50, 60 & 70 series except model 49 (Special Estate Wagon). I have a 1942 Special and will measure the tank for you tomorrow. Memory says it is pretty much in the middle but will confirm.

Gary

• Like 2

Based on the above post try Dave T for a fuel tank. Is hard to contact, so keep trying. No published or know email. He is good and helpful with non USA Buick people,unlike some others in the USA

Dave T thread http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

According to my parts book, 60, 70, and 90 series use the same radiator. 40 and 50 series are different. Also, fuel tanks fit the following.

1941-1942 40, 50, 60 & 70 series except model 49 (Special Estate Wagon). I have a 1942 Special and will measure the tank for you tomorrow. Memory says it is pretty much in the middle but will confirm.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I'll look fwd to learn the tank dimensions.

Would you please at the same time take measure of the width of the radiator in your car and appx. height as well. 

Even if the 40-series radiator is different, the connection dimensions to the body would be the same?

Cheers,

Pekka

Pekka

I am down in te back today and taking it easy! If I got under the car to measure the tank I would likely be stuck there for awhile. LOL

Will try to get over to the shop tomorrow. I also believe that I have a radiator from a 42 Special at the shop. I will take some pics and measurements.

Will let you know what I find tomorrow.

Gary

Hi Gary,

No hurry, I'm lucky to find someone who can help in this subject.

The war time cars are not the most common, especially here in Europe for a good reason they're not...

Take your time, I'll stay tuned to hear from you.

Cheers,

Pekka

Pekka

Got some dimensions for the gas tank. Kinda hard to measure lying on your back under the car. My lift has another car on it so could not get the '42 up in the air for easier measuring.

These dimensions are approx so here you go! 30" wide X 28" long X 6" deep. The center of the filler pipe is 10" from the front of the tank.

The radiator is 27 1/2" high X 19" wide X 2" thick. The highth measurement is from the top of the top tank to the bottom of the lower tank.

Please PM me with your email address and I will send you pictures tomorrow.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Gary for kind help to verify the dimensions of the radiator & tank once again.

Now an up-date:
The deal for the car is sealed and car picked up for overseas shipping, see photo in below...

Also a load of spares bought & loaded in the car;

- the radiator, tank & fuel gauge sender unit

- NOS fender trim set (incomplete), tank filler lid

-  set of used tail lights

- new brake cylinders & hoses

- tune up parts etc.

In process to buy some more trim pieces, offers and leads appreciated.

It will take some time before the car will arrive port of Helsinki, Finland - I do not expect to see it before end of January.

However, when I do and get to check it up, I will let you guys know the findings and be sure to chat here on frequent basis.

Have a great holidays - See Ya!

Cheers,

the Tinsled

2821ee2d2aea3959866aae2b74d06239.jpg