Touch-up Paint

Guest Oldengineer

Guest Oldengineer

Is there a good source of touch up paint for antique cars. I'm looking for some for a 1950 Olds in particular.  Appreciate any help you can give me.

Regards:

Oldengineer

1950 Olds 98

Guest AlCapone

Get to an auto parts store that sells paint and they will do a computer scan on your present paint and do a perfect match. You don't care what the original color was, you want to match the color it is today. Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Get to an auto parts store that sells paint and they will do a computer scan on your present paint and do a perfect match. You don't card what the original color was you want to match the color it is today. Wayne

+1. Whatever color it was originally, it has faded and weathered. Getting a computer match and having them mix up a pint will give you far better results than something you buy over the internet that's "supposed" to be the right color. It'll be $50 well spent.

Guest AlCapone

A computer scan will get you close but don't expect an exact match, especially with metallics.

I agree it won't be perfect but it will be a lot closer than a mail order touch up. It is by far the best option available to a do it yourself person! Wayne

Guest bkazmer

R32 is spot on - a spectrophotometer scan is the beginning of matching , not the end.  Even on new production today, the final word on match is a trained eye.  And metallics, pearls, prismatics, xyrillics are really different depending on illumination and angle

You can be sure the paint will not get brighter and glossier with age. I knew an old detailer who put a couple drops of primer into the mix just to tone it down a bit. I have always brush touch clips and scratches so I haven't tried the trick.

Bernie