29 Dodge DA fuel sender

Guest jimma

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck replacing a 29 Dodge fuel sender, the one I have has corroded and isn't usable anymore and was hoping someone might know of somewhere I could buy a replacement or if another model cars one fits.

Thanks for the help 

James

I took mine out ...Myers Early Dodge has gear replacements if you need them and I just sent mine up to Bob's Speedometer to have it redone as it was more than I could do.....there are other places for rebuilding, but I wanted to keep it original (many put a more modern unit under the cap assembly)...waiting for a price. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but I'm saving money by doing a lot of other stuff on the car myself.

Might look into maybe putting a more modern unit under the cover thats a good idea, was hoping maybe another model cars one fit and I could just buy a whole replacement unit. 

IMG_9667.jpg

I see some that are similar to original, but new...the ones that look like possibilities are used mainly for boats or tractors.... the one here is for 6v....don't know if you've converted to 12v. ...you'd have to check for dimensions and some look to be adjustable. You can Google and find quite a few. BTW, you original unit looks to be in a lot better shape than mine was!

http://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Sender-Ford-Tractor-310938/dp/B00ET8RT9E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445865866&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=universal+fuel+sender+6v

Looks like yours uses the old SAE 5 screw mounting so that part is relatively easy. The trick to replacing will be to determine the resistance range your original dash unit requires. I don't know how well Dodge was integrated into Chrysler engineering in 1929 as it was only one year after the purchase of the company, but the resistance range of the early one wire sending units on Plymouth does not match up to any readily available sending unit.

If you can get your original fixed it is likely to provide a more accurate reading than a modern unit that does not have quite the right range.

And if your '29 Dodge is like the early 4 cylinder Plymouths, the gauge might be visible which would be another reason to try to keep the original.

But if you are okay with trying to use a modern sender, here is what I did: http://www.ply33.com/Repair/fuelsender2.html

Another option was documented in the OCT/NOV 2007 DB Club News.  I used this procedure and am still "tuning" the bend in the float arm.  I'm on my third test.  My gas tank is again full and the gauge reads full.  Now I just need to drive it to retest my sending unit.  The one safety note that needs to always be employed when working with the sending unit is to disconnect the battery before starting to work on it.  Good Luck!