Speedometer swivel for a 1919 Buick H-45

chas1963

Sometime between the AACA Vintage Tour and Hershey 2015 the swivel by the front wheel of my 1919 Buick H-45 cracked where the cable connects to the unit.  Not that knowing precise speed is important but it would be good to have the speedometer working again.  Does anyone have a swivel unit?  Or know of a way to fix/reinforce the old one? 

Thanks!

Charlie Steffy

Charlie:

I thought that there was another problem with the swivel unit that you showed me at Hershey. You mentioned that your dad had Model T gears installed.

I had hoped to get a dialog with other Buick guys as to getting it back to what it should be. I hope as Terry said that Russ may be able to help.

From what I saw I could machine a collar to reinforce the broken casting. If that is the only thing stopping your speedometer from racking up some miles.

Larry

• Like 1

Larry and Charlie, the swivel on my '16 is a 2 1/2 to 1 ratio and I believe yours is the same.  If the internals have been changed there could be a possibility that your unit is not functioning correctly for your speedometer head.  If you talk with Russ, ask him about that.  I know that he has various swivel units at any given time.  Larry might be your help right away.  A person has to be careful with these old swivels as they are made using that old diecast material and you can end up with a handful of broken pieces in short order.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas