Start them young.

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

I posted in the buy and sell looking for a Go-cart motor. Two years ago my then 3yo g/grandson came across the yard and pulled himself up in the front seat of my 65 Buick Skylark.  He took ahold of the steering wheel looked at me and said ZOOM ZOOM. So I started to build a go-cart. I bought a 5hp motor, but never having any experience with go-carts the motor turned the wrong rotation and the cart went in reverse LOL . Bottom line I will be in Hershey C3B 6-10. If you are going and have a inexpensive motor that will work I can use a little help. 

Do you have a video of him driving it in reverse?

Back in the '60's my Grandfather blew the rearend in his '34 Dodge shortened plow truck. My Dad and I replaced it for him, not knowing the bolt pattern was symmetrical. He put the truck in low and it lurched backward. He was happy because he had a better ratio for pushing snow going forward in revere.

When he used it out in the back he'd come up the lane in backwards moving along fast and shifting gears. I think he enjoyed the hell out of it. Imagine your Grandson passing all the kids in reverse.

Bernie

I posted in the buy and sell looking for a Go-cart motor. Two years ago my then 3yo g/grandson came across the yard and pulled himself up in the front seat of my 65 Buick Skylark.  He took ahold of the steering wheel looked at me and said ZOOM ZOOM. So I started to build a go-cart. I bought a 5hp motor, but never having any experience with go-carts the motor turned the wrong rotation and the cart went in reverse LOL . Bottom line I will be in Hershey C3B 6-10. If you are going and have a inexpensive motor that will work I can use a little help. 

That's the problem. You should have put an engine in it. No wonder. ;)

Nearly all small engines run in the same direction, clockwise, looking at the flywheel. What kind of engine did you get? Can you turn it around on it's mount and drive the other wheel?

Guest windjamer

Sorry Carl, no and no. I was told to just get a motor with a horizontal shaft, so I bought a 5hp from harbor freight but the shaft runs counter clockwise.

I don't think you are going to find any engines that turn the opposite direction.

X2

CW rotation at the flywheel is industry standard. You're not going to find a CCW engine. When you say your turns CCW, do you mean at the flywheel or the output shaft. If it's CCW at the output, then you have the engine in backwards. I helped a friend install a 5 horse Harbor Freight engine in his kid's go kart, several years ago. It worked just fine and went in the correct direction, so sumpthin' ain't right, knowhamsayin'?