Woodgrain/upgrade from worn out original parts

Guest HuevosRanchero

Guest HuevosRanchero

Well life has been really getting in the way the last 3 weeks but have just about finished the woodgrain/cd upgrade the PO started.   Not a woodgrain fan normally but think it looks pretty good with the saddle interior.   CD player condition unknown, I really have no intention of using it but its a kewl option and beats the @##$$ flopping door that is standard. Also a good reason to check the flopping left side of the lower under steering wheel leather panel.

the console as it was

20150908_150929.jpg

a constant source of annoyance I was unable to rectify.

20150908_150935.jpg

thanx to the info on this and Ronnies site...pulling most of the paneling was easy..pulled the woodgrain instrument surround PO had put on....note my horrible steering wheel...going to have to do something about that.

20150908_183457.jpg

stripped away

20150908_183507.jpg

and finally the shifter

20150908_185709.jpg

Guest HuevosRanchero

begin the reassembly

the new/old cd player

20150908_185716.jpg

refurbed shifter, not stellar by any means but looks better than the original...will refurb that one for later use.

20150908_191452.jpg

preview shot of woodgrain surround ...wasnt done at this time yet but I have since used mothers wheel polish to strip the mottled chrome trim

I like the woodgrain/black look just fine. 

20150908_191506.jpg

ahh now the meat of this project

that lower panel??  out of 8 mounting tabs ...only 3 were unbroken...hence the sagginess.  I recovered what I could of the original plastic tabs

and using the combination of 2 part epoxy, washers ( to reinforce holes) and 2 part epoxy clay surfacing. I reconstructed the mounts and can 

report the panel is back in and looks correct. 

20150910_094854.jpg

20150910_094843.jpg

20150910_094909.jpg

Hope to finish up the interior minor refit in time for the Church car show on Sunday.

Guest HuevosRanchero

Whoever it was that said under the leather was a nice black foam grip on the steering wheel.....I thank you.  A little deft

razor blade work and voila.

steering.jpg

Woodgrain shots....I'm very pleased with the result. The new pieces on the console make the instrument bezel look pretty faded 

and is peeling in some spots. Found a really good bezel on ebay and its on its way now.  I think that job will be done for now..

may get the matching door panel seat control bezels at some point.

woodgrain.jpg

woodgrain2.jpg

'rita got a lot of notice at the car show...lots and lots of questions.

Edited by HuevosRanchero (see edit history)

Guest HuevosRanchero

Be advised, the Riviera door (window switches) wood panels don't fit the Reatta.

ahh bummer...they look really similar oh well. No biggy thanx!

I may be mistaken but I thought the woodgrain door switch bezels are of a different shape and size on the 90+ Rivieras compared to the Reatta so they cannot be subbed. 88/89 are identical (rectangular, and just for the seat controls) but 90/91 are curved and contoured to the door panel armrest which is different on the Riviera.

I know for a fact the bezel around the pull strap and tweeter on the door panel is much different on the Rivi (88-93) than the Reatta (88-91) and cannot be used interchangeably.

KDirk