Information wanted for a vintage Chevy hood ornament 1950"s??

Guest DSTEVENS

Guest DSTEVENS

I have a vintage Cheverolet hood ornament that is in excellent condition and still in the box. I would love some information on this and a possible value or where the best place is to sell this. 

post-154707-0-03618700-1441904425_thumb.

I'm no expert, but I think that is an aftermarket hood ornament for a 1950 Chevrolet.  I think that the stock hood ornament was solid metal and did not have the plastic insert.  I would guess that it would be worth $40 - $50 bucks ... possibly more if someone really needs one.  As to places to sell it, I'd list it on the 'Buy/Sell' forum of this site.  Of course, there is the "ever popular" :rolleyes:  Ebay.

I'm sure that folks more knowledgeable than myself will offer some opinions on this site.

Just my thoughts,

Grog

I think there is some confusion the hood ornament with the red plastic insert and it was a Chevrolet Accessory sold by Chevrolet for 1949/50 part number 3687425 The standard hood ornament is listed in the Chevrolet Parts Book as "regular production" that is all chrome plated steel part number 3684376. I had seen them for sale as high as $250 (high end) to as low as $40 again like anything else condition depends on a lot 

I don't know why but my, books show different part numbers. 

The red plastic hood ornament is the factory accessory hood ornament for 1949 only. it is group 8.055  part number 986254

1949 and 1950 shared the same production hood ornament #3688253  cost new $4.07

The accessory hood ornament for 1950  is a winged bird group 8.055 part number 986410 

John, if you have the cost new  for the accessory ornaments, I could fill in a couple of blanks in my Chevrolet hood ornament collection.

Guest AlCapone

I think there is some confusion the hood ornament with the red plastic insert and it was a Chevrolet Accessory sold by Chevrolet for 1949/50 part number 3687425 The standard hood ornament is listed in the Chevrolet Parts Book as "regular production" that is all chrome plated steel part number 3684376. I had seen them for sale as high as $250 (high end) to as low as $40 again like anything else condition depends on a lot

The $250 seems very unrealistic! Was it on EBay and was that the ask price or the selling price? Wayne

Guest DSTEVENS

I'm no expert, but I think that is an aftermarket hood ornament for a 1950 Chevrolet.  I think that the stock hood ornament was solid metal and did not have the plastic insert.  I would guess that it would be worth $40 - $50 bucks ... possibly more if someone really needs one.  As to places to sell it, I'd list it on the 'Buy/Sell' forum of this site.  Of course, there is the "ever popular" :rolleyes:  Ebay.

I'm sure that folks more knowledgeable than myself will offer some opinions on this site.

Just my thoughts,

Grog

I don't believe it is aftermarket, but I could be mistaken.

Guest DSTEVENS

I actually have the original box in very good conditon. The part number is 986254, it's a 1949 part. So you are saying that it is actually two parts that I have? One is the chrome piece and the red piece is additional?

It seems to bring me back to the top of the page. What is it suppose to show? 

The number I gave upove was for the red piece and the number on the chrome piece is 3687372

Here you go;

http://forums.aaca.org/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-30638-14313909895.jpg

http://forums.aaca.org/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-30638-143139098953.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

The book I got the part number from was a Chevrolet parts book printed in 1957, so very possible the numbers change, casting numbers and part numbers never seem to be the same.

Originally it was a 49 part, seemed like a lot of 1950's had them installed, later the book list them for both years. But no it is not an aftermarket part, it is a Chevrolet part offered and sold by Chevrolet

The $250 seems very unrealistic! Was it on EBay and was that the ask price or the selling price? Wayne

Wayne, no selling price again like I mentioned condition is key  NOS needing no rechroming, and the red plastic is not cracked or sun faded, factor in the cost of restoring the part $250 is far less....... and it an accessory.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

That book is WRONG !!  Go to Chevs of the 40's, look at their catalog. They know of which they speak.

Don't tell me, tell the corporation that built the cars......and those ornaments......and their literature.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I have that part and have carried it to flea markets for years. Nobody wants it for $20. The plastic is damaged. I was told it's 49 only. see it at OBI-52

Dave, the damaged plastic is "the problem" that can't be fixed.......

That book is WRONG !!  Go to Chevs of the 40's, look at their catalog. They know of which they speak.

^^^ ?????? Curti, just so I have it straight you are saying that the Factory Chevrolet Parts Book and the link to factory literature reference that Heflen posted is wrong and the reproduction vendor's catalog is correct? 

Dave, the damaged plastic is "the problem" that can't be fixed.......

^^^ ?????? Curti, just so I have it straight you are saying that the Factory Chevrolet Parts Book and the link to factory literature reference that Heflen posted is wrong and the reproduction vendor's catalog is correct? 

I am not saying the parts book is wrong That is where I get all of my info.  I am saying http://forums.aaca.o...14313909895.jpg  the vendors catalog is wrong.My opinion is:

the top two left and right are indeed 46 deluxe and  46 production.

If you can find a picture and p/n for the other 46 in the next row, I would be very interested.    The 47 deluxe is correct. 

the red 49-50 is 49 only    The 48 deluxe is correct

the bottom row is 47 - 48 production, not 48 only   the 48 truck I have no knowledge of. 

My 2 cents.

I thought so.... I knew I had to be misunderstanding your point. Correct the part was originally 1949 only when introduced but then is listed in the 1957 Chevrolet P&A Book for both years???  What is not listed is the accy. 1950 only eagle hood ornament, Maybe inventory was depleted for the 1950 style?, I don't know. I myself would consider it incorrect on a 50 for judging purposes, but it does fit and looks pretty cool, and even have one on my 50 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest DSTEVENS

:D

Sorry I can't be buyer and seller at the same time. When I see the price posted I will decide whether I am interested! Wayne

Wayne, no offense but you can't be the seller if you don't HAVE the item. I have seen many prices from $40-$500 and I will have to research more before I decide what to ask for it. I may or may not get it who knows. LOL

Guest AlCapone

:D

Wayne, no offense but you can't be the seller if you don't HAVE the item. I have seen many prices from $40-$500 and I will have to research more before I decide what to ask for it. I may or may not get it who knows. LOL

That was my point that you missed. The seller sets the price yet you wanted me to make an offer and set a price. In my opinion if you want to sell something you set a price. No matter what I offered you would have asked for more. Many thanks but please remove me from the interested list! Wayne

If you have a parts book that lists 986254 ( assembly) as used in 1950.  It should be good enough for any judge.  Thanks, I learned something new today! 

I see a lot of golden gazelle's on 52's were they forward compatible as well? 

Hey Curt, been pretty busy today, suffered watching two losses at true double header at Yankee Stadium today..... long day and I love baseball, I will look through the parts book tomorrow and see if we can sort this out, you wanted list prices as I recall also?

True the information should be good enough for any judge, sadly  however I found over the years a vast majority of the judges seem to know everything but how to ask for information, but that is an entire different topic

Guest DSTEVENS

That was my point that you missed. The seller sets the price yet you wanted me to make an offer and set a price. In my opinion if you want to sell something you set a price. No matter what I offered you would have asked for more. Many thanks but please remove me from the interested list! Wayne

My apologies Wayne, I am new at this ball game. Didn't mean to offend.

I have found that if one looks really close at parts books errors can be found.  Back in the day, the data was inputted manually. I have found this especially true with the Auburn parts book. 

I sold early Chevrolet parts for many years prior to switching over to Auburns. The only thing I kept prior to selling the business was the hood ornaments.

It is my opinion that a NOS in the box 46-50 deluxe hood ornament is in the $145-$185 range.  A superb NOS item is king.