1925-26 Start Switch

GaryP65

Check continuity of Batt to Coil when the switch is in the run position. Then test Batt to head and batt to coil with switch in lights on position. Etc

It's probably rusty inside. Soak in vinegar for two days. Rinse with baking soda and water real good to neutralize the acid (vinegar) and with a blow dryer. Then try continuity again.

That's what I'd do anyway.

If you soak it there's a good chance the back will fall apart. It's made of a type of paper product to be an insulator. Besides the contacts are brass so vinegar will do little. Bend the tabs carefully and open it, don't forget what it looks like inside. There are balls and stuff that falls on the floor.  My '24, which is similar, would cut out when I hit a bump or not start at all. There were brass tracks rubbed in the paper from one contact to another causing shorts.  I used an INK eraser and cleaned the inside, works great ever since. A little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt either.

If you soak it there's a good chance the back will fall apart. It's made of a type of paper product to be an insulator. Besides the contacts are brass so vinegar will do little. Bend the tabs carefully and open it, don't forget what it looks like inside. There are balls and stuff that falls on the floor.  My '24, which is similar, would cut out when I hit a bump or not start at all. There were brass tracks rubbed in the paper from one contact to another causing shorts.  I used an INK eraser and cleaned the inside, works great ever since. A little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt either.

Wow! So glad you posted this before he took my bonehead advice! :-). I didn't know it was cardboard...looked like rusty metal.

RE remembering what it looks like.....I keep my IPhone in the shop with me and take lots of 'before' pictures. The pictures have saved the day a few times.

Awesome. Thank you so much for the info. So here's what I'll do after more testing....

I will make sure it is sitting level while I carefully bend the tabs, take s photo and check the paper for 'tracks' and put dielectric grease everywhere.

What happens if a tab breaks?