1928 FRANKLIN FRONT SUSPENSION QUESTION

RKAJFSAZ

I have 1928 12A Victoria, it looks like the front bolster block on the top leaf spring was installed backwards (the wide end facing the rear of the car) when attempting to fix the problem I noticed a cast aluminum shim between the bottom leaf spring and the front axle.  Does anyone know if this is an original Franklin part or something someone added to fix the original problem.  This part is not on my 12A sedan nor can I find any reference to it in the Parts Catalog.   Are the 12A Sedan and Victoria front suspensions identical ?  I found it strange that the part was cast and not machined.

Thanks for any help   Bob  Kajfasz

post-132655-0-59929800-1434990172_thumb.

post-132655-0-02857300-1434990266_thumb.

The reason it is cast and not machined is because these were sold by parts stores in the day and you could buy boxes of them in different degrees of angle. These where used on all cars with lengthwise leaf springs. For Fords you could get shims to fit the ball mount at the transmission where the A bone attached from 1908 to 1948.

Bill

Mike & Bill

Thanks for the replies, having the upper spring bolster block install backwards increased the caster angle, adding

the additional shim on the lower spring increased it further, do you think this was done intentionally ?  I know this car

was never driven after it was reassembled by the previous owner in the 80's, I put about 100 miles on it and it just does

not seem to handle right.

Bob K

Hi Bob -

Your assumption was correct - someone needed to add the tapered shim below to correct the excessive caster from the incorrect placement of the upper bolsters. When you have the upper bolsters corrected, you can check the caster and you may well find that no shim is required. The factory did not use a shim, the upper bolster provided for the correct amount of caster.

Tom Rasmussen