'47 Cabriolet Rear End Installation

Ron K.

I am helping Mike install his rebuilt rear end/drive shaft assembly tomorrow. When I did mine, I installed the leaf spring first and then installed the rear end. Is that what you experts still recommend or can it be inserted with the spring already bolted to the axle?

The car must be raised high enough to clear driveshaft , rear spring etc..I have done it, solo, 25 years ago, now, it is much simpler to remove the spring...either a spring spreader or a porta power hydraulic ram..be careful..

I have tried the all together way last couple times..but it was so simple with it off...I didnt fight it..

Thank you Gentlemen, we installed it fully assembled with the spring attached and we did have to use a hydraulic ram to spread the spring so that it would clear the U-bolts on the aft cross member. So now I have done it both ways and probably prefer installing the spring on the cross member first before installing the axle/drive shaft assembly, it seemed to go in easier. Now Mike can finish with all of the little time consuming stuff and get his '48 Cabriolet back on the road with a rebuilt transmission and rear end.