47 lz overdrive

47clubcoup

Im trying to rewire the OD, iv taken two bolts out of the solenoid under the car.there seems to be a vacuum as it dos't pull out easy .who can guess why ? (i don't know but one of you know ) also is there something that im for getting or should do ? THIS is a 47 lz coupe .   Thank You's for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

thank yous for your help , i got it out but there wasent any oil there ? dose that mean the trany was empty ?   :unsure: stupid question but i got this car and im trying to be a fixer of which im not just trying somthing new n different. call me crazy   :wacko:  its ok im happy.

You can pull the fill plug on the passenger's side of the tranny.  If oil doesn't run out, put you finger in the hole to feel if wet.  If not, add 80-90 gear oil.  Better check the seperate OD fill plug on the tailshaft while you are at it.

Abe

Although there is a common oil passage between the transmission and overdrive unit the "flow thru' is fairly high. The oil level in the OD unit is normally very shallow and might explain why little or no oil came out the solenoid mount. After you remount the solenoid do as Jeff said and recheck the oil level in both the OD and transmission.

I can personally attest to the fact that if the transmission oil level is low it is likely that the overdrive is starved.  I burned up the OD in my father's '49 Lincoln sport sedan.racing a '49 Olds.  The OD quit and when it was disassembled the parts were blue and practically welded together it got so hot.  The planetary gear was stripped.

This was 61 years ago--it was burned indelibly into my brain.  I soon after joined the Navy and grew up. 

Edited by b6vt (see edit history)

• 11 months later...
On 21.5.2015 at 1:47 AM, 47clubcoup said:

Im trying to rewire the OD, iv taken two bolts out of the solenoid under the car.there seems to be a vacuum as it dos't pull out easy .who can guess why ? (i don't know but one of you know ) also is there something that im for getting or should do ? THIS is a 47 lz coupe .   Thank You's for the help.

do you have that indicator lamp? i can't find it in my 47' Club Coupe. Where should it be exacly?

Overdrive works, but no light and i do not see a spare lamp anywhere.

Oliver