Chrome powder coating

cmj

Hi, Fred.<P>We have a Powder Coating system at the foundry. Used for industrial castings, such as, the seats at over 50 sports stadium seat stancheons (Blackhawks, Joe Robbie, etc.), Mack Truck parts, and, so on.<P>The procedure is the part has to be clean, the part is pre-heated to the point it would burn your skin, the part is magnetized, the powder is sprayed, the molecules in the powder are drawn magnetically to the charged part, then goes through the heat ovens to basically bake the finish.<P>Color choices were limited to basic ones and has improved over the years, however, I never ran across "chrome" powder only because we would never have a need for it. <P>Unless someone else has better data, I cannot fathom powder coat colors as I know them that would generate a comparable to chrome finish.<P>Even compared to porcelainizing cast parts, such as exhaust manifolds on the older cars, powder would hold up, but, you could tell the difference with porcelain finishes.<P>Powder is very durable. Withstands harsh attacks from gasoline, chemicals, etc.<P>Don't know what to tell you to do. Hopefully, someone with more info will chime in here.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

Ron, that's interesting. As I mentioned, we have no need for chrome for industrial castings.<P>One thing for certain, is millage. Chrome is roughly 2-mils. Powder coating is an average of 3-3.5 mils. On wire spokes, picture powder coating as having beefed up the diameter of the spokes upon first sighting. I shutter to think about the linkage sleeves for spoke adjustment if it was powder coated. (How each spoke could be tightened in Powder without cracking/scoring versus the resiliency of chrome is beyond my comprehension.)<P>Regards, Peter J.

Where I work we have a "partner" powder coating business in the rear half of our building. The chrome powder coating is really more a silver. It doesn't come close as a replacement for true chrome. It looks more like that "chrome" paint you can buy in spray bombs. <P>I'll take my camera to work tomorrow and take a picture of the Chrome powder chip against real chrome and then post it.