I need some help from someone who has a fsm, I have one on order, THANKS GM!

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I have an intermittent problem that is a bit dangerous. The drivers side rear brake and turn signal lights are only working about 40 % of the time. I think I have the problem traced to the wire bundle that runs down the drivers side rocker just in front of the seat, which I can't pull out by myself. If someone could tell me the color of the wire that feeds the relay for those lights. As soon as I opened the plastic cover and poked a screw driver in it began to work, so I left it in that condition.

Thanks all,

Richard

Richard, I had the same problem on a '88 Olds 98, well almost same. My daughter got pulled over twice for left brake light not working sometimes. He gave a warning both times. Every time I looked at it, it was working on both bulbs and signal worked. I puzzled over it a while and finally checked the turn signal switch. After using left signal and letting it return to neutral position, the left brake light would not come on. When I lifted the stalk and let it go, it remained in neutral position and brake light worked. Barely pull down toward left signal position and release, brake lights did not work. So, my problem is in column or bad switch. Sure was a puzzler.

Guest Richard D

Thanks for your help Texas John, about a year ago the self cancel feature stopped working on the left turn signal. When I found out how much it would cost to install the self cancel piece of plastic I decided to wait forsomething else to fail in the colum and just became used to canceling by hand. I will try your suggestion. Thanks for your time,

Richard

The wiring/switches in steering columns is extremely hard to fix. Recently my cruise control quit working on my "driver" and instead of trying to pull in new wires I simply ran some replacement wires on the outside, but still hidden.

In the case of replacing the turn signal mechanism those wires are part of the main harness that goes up the steering column and not replaceable without first removing the connector from the wires, pulling up the old and pulling down the new and then putting the connector back on. You also have to remove the steering wheel, clock spring and top plate of the column which requires a special tool.

I can replace a whole column in about a half hour which is FAR easier than trying to fix one.

I have steering columns available for $ 90 plus shipping.