Can you help ID is Buick?

Guest 40Ford!!

Guest 40Ford!!

​I have a friend who would like this vehicle identified. She believes the child in the photo could be her father but needs to date the car. So far I am being told by other car buffs this could be a 1923 Buick Series 23. Anyone want to verify?

post-92496-1431431012_thumb.jpg

Leif,

I see some non Buick items making me think this is something else, perhaps Oldsmobile? Agree, due to 'drum' headlamps that would make it about a 1923.

Cowl lights too small, not deep enough of a can/body for Buick.

Bolts on rear wheel spokes. Buick did not have these.

Full rear leaf springs, were not all Buicks cantilever at this time?

Hub cap too small.

Nickel radiator shell was only on the up level Roadster (54?) and this is not a 54 either.

I enjoy these detective stories, so others, please comment

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)

I did some further checking and picture searching. The 4 cylinder series 1923 Buicks did have full leaf springs while the 6 cylinder series had cantilever springs with no rear frame horn perch for rear attachment of spring. So a 1923 Buick 4 cylinder did have this type of rear spring.

But, still not a Buick based on the rear spoke and bolts and the other issue noted. Also no front brakes is something else that might help identify but then Buicks did not have front brakes in 1923 (last year for rear only).

I'm still guessing 1923 Olds. But just a guess. It looks like a GM product to me, just not a Buick. Come on smarter guys, what is this?

Well, not an Olds either. Olds in '23 had slanted hood side vent and these are vertical like Buick and larger like the Buick 4. The Buick 6 had more vents than the 4 and they were a bit thinner than the 4.

This hood is rather long, so I'm guessing this is a 6 cylinder, what ever it is.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)