Power Steering parts for '57 Buick Special

Guest bryan burns

Guest bryan burns

I just purchased a beautiful '57 Special with manual steering. I am looking to convert it power steering and need all the required parts: pump, pulleys, resevoir, gear box etc. I have been told that the '58's have the same set up so that could work as well. Please contact Bryan Burns 760-567-3712 if you have the parts or know someone who might.

Thanks so much!

Hi Bryan. My first suggestion would be to scour eBay for the easy to get parts. I did exactly what your want to do to my Special, and there is a bit more to it than I thought. Another suggestion is to get a 1949-1960 Buick Parts manual and identify the specific items you need. If you need help figuring out exactly what to get, send me a PM. Good Luck!

I have a '58 Special parts car with power steering, but no engine. The power steering unit is intact and hooked up to the steering box (laying on the battery tray for now). The system is complete except for the crankshaft double pulley, which I don't have since there is no engine.

I would like to try to sell the whole car, so if you can wait a week while I list it on Ebay, then I will begin selling parts from it if the car does not sell on Ebay.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143143054189_thumb.jpg

The conversion is just not the pump, pulleys and steering gear. You also need a different center link, idler arm and pitman arm to make the change. All of those were the most difficult parts to come by. But if Pete's car is parted out, you can get the whole show at that point.

I have a '57 Buick Century WITHOUT power steering.

It's easy to drive, so if yours has difficulty, perhaps

there is something easy to fix. Consider saving yourself

the money of the conversion unless your wife absolutely

needs power steering.

The only disadvantage to being without power steering

is you have to turn the steering wheel quite a bit for parking,

but out on the road the car is a pleasure to drive. And I like

having the car the way the original owner ordered it, to

experience what people did back in the 1950's!

(By the way, do '57 Buicks with power steering have

fewer turns of the steering wheel lock-to-lock? I've heard

that is indeed the case with some cars.)