68 GS Transmission Cooler lines

Jim65Riv

A friend, not internet savvy, with a 68 GS needs new transmission lines. The only applications he has found are for the Electra and the Wildcat. Does any one know if the lines for a Riv are the same? If not, where he could get a set? He has already talked to Inline Tube.

From what I've seen, nobody offers them for purchase, but you can have them made

by any shop that makes replacement lines and hoses. In Plano, Tx. where I live there is a shop

that can duplicate any brake, fuel or tranny line in about an hour if you give them the old one to

use for a pattern. You could also buy a tubing bending set and flaring tool set and make your own

lines if nobody close by can do it. If you don't have the old ones to use as a pattern, the way you do it is take some wire and bend it to fit properly from the trans to the radiator, then bend your own tubing using the wire as a pattern. A lot of transmission shops make their own transmission cooler lines when they are working on a car with damaged ones, so you might contact transmission shops in your area to see if they have the equipment needed to make a set for you.

A friend, not internet savvy, with a 68 GS needs new transmission lines. The only applications he has found are for the Electra and the Wildcat. Does any one know if the lines for a Riv are the same? If not, where he could get a set? He has already talked to Inline Tube.

What did Inline Tube say about the lines - same engine and transmission, they must be similar ?

The only difference between a Riviera and the Wildcat, or Electra is the 'X' frame on the Riviera.

The reason the Electra/Lesabre lines are different is that the Riviera most likely does not

have the same distance from the radiator support to the front of the engine and from the

radiator support to the crossover on the frame. These are critical dimensions pertaining to transmission cooler lines. GM's personal luxury

cars of that era like the Riviera, Toronado, Monte Carlo and Grand Prix

have longer hoods and front fenders and thus longer distances from the firewall to the radiator than the more conventional cars they share parts with i. e. they are "stretched" on the front clip.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

For '68, the LeSabre is 3 1/2" shorter from the firewall forward - the other models, Wildcat, Electra, and Riviera are 3 1/2" longer.

Not sure of the distance from the transmission mount to the front radiator support, on any of the models, which would determine the length of the lines, but the Riviera does have a different frame than the Wildcat, or Electra

I found out about the subtle difference the hard way Winston, after I purchased a complete '68 Lesabre parts car to replace a crumpled '68 Wildcat front fender - it was just like Cinderella's slipper !!

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)