Piston Ring Gap...

Dandy Dave

Pulled some rings out of a 230 CID Olds engine yesterday to check the ring gap. Top ring gap 0.215. That's just 0.035 shy of a quarter inch. :eek: Ya all think that's enough gap? :confused: LOL.. I think the original owner got his moneys worth out of that set of rings. The engine has never been apart as none of the rods were numbered. Where the motor came from years ago there was rusted out GLF Motor Oil cans all around the farm. GLF Oil, That's the best when your pinchin penny's. Dandy Dave!

D.D.,

Was the nearly 1/4-inch gap in all of the rings or just the top compression ring? How'd the cylinder bore look?

Either way, I'd say that motor was broke in purty good!

What's GLF Oil? "Good Lubrication Forever", "Gas Light Flounder", "Grits Formulation Law" or ... ? My Google search reveals that "GLF Oil" is some sorta "essential" oil and promotes health and clean living and virtue and stuff like that. Nothing is more "essential" than good motor oil, but that doesn't seem to be what they are using it for. Maybe a good multi-grade rubbed all over has some positive health effects, or somethin'. I dunno, but I don't thing they drink it ... it tastes real bad.

Essentially ignorant,

Grog

Guest cben09

Excessive taper will be a problem,needs to be addressd,,

Are you trying to get it running,,or overhauled for a restoration,

Three thou' clearence per inch of bore will do,,,,taper will kill it,,

If it is to be used on a woodsaw,,let me know,, hone the taper

use heavy oil,,,Iron pistons I assume??? Cheers,,Ben

Grog, You would have to be a farmer from western New York to understand. The GLF was the Grange League Federation formed here a hundred years ago as a cooperative venture where a variety of farm products were bought, bartered, or sold. Petroleum from the Pennsylvania oilfields was refined and sold for lubrication with the GLF logo. Later it morphed into the present corporation we know as Agway. --Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the reply about GLF Oil. Was the GLF Oil deal like some of the current private label deals wherein the owner of the private label negotiates with different suppliers to get the best price, then slaps the private label on the item? Would suppliers change according to who gave the best deal to the GLF? Was varying quality ever a problem with the GLF Oils, or was the quality pretty consistent? If I'm reading his post correctly, Dandy Dave is inferring that the quality of the GLF Oils was a "sometime thing". Is that right?

Bad Oil is better than no oil,

Grog

Grog, You would have to be a farmer from western New York to understand. The GLF was the Grange League Federation formed here a hundred years ago as a cooperative venture where a variety of farm products were bought, bartered, or sold. Petroleum from the Pennsylvania oilfields was refined and sold for lubrication with the GLF logo. Later it morphed into the present corporation we know as Agway. --Bob

Or, as it got known locally - Gardens, Lawns and Flowers.l

Gardens, Lawns, and Flowers. LOL... Every old farm tractor I ever worked on around here that had GLF, (Yes, Grange League Federation.) oil as a staple was wore out about as bad as this old Olds engine. Of course some of these farmers never believed in changing the oil. Just add more. It does have aluminum pistons. It is a G series so that dates it from 39 till 42. The fellow that owns it wants to put it in a 1936 Olds. I Haven't measured the bore yet as it got late the other night and was way past quitting time. I did take a bit of a ridge out with the ridge reamer before removing the pistons so excessive taper would not surprise me. Have to get you guys some photos. Oh, and I did only measure one top ring so far. The adventure continues. ;) Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Getting down to the Nitti Gritty on this old G series Olds engine. Here are some photos . Ring gap varies from 0.156 to 0.215 The bore is worn 0.020 taper top to bottom. (0.003 exceptable wear. Ha. we are way over that.) Notice the carbon and burned oil deposits in the valve seat ports. Standard Bore is 3-7/16ths (3.438). Top of cylinders are worn between 3.456 to 3.460. She needs a bore job. Looks like 30 over. Got to run this by the owner and see what he wants to do. Next would be to find over size pistons. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-143143022875_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143143022881_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143143022888_thumb.jpg