65 Riviera window felt question

Rufcar

My 65 paint job will soon be done and I am getting everything ready for assembly. While doing so I removed the door glass window felt from the outside stainless trim and as we all know none of us have a stapler that will penetrate all the pieces like the factory did.

That said how do you recommend installing the new felts to the stainless trim?

I was thinking maybe some double face tape until I can screw it to the door?

Plus the angle in the new felt does nor seem to match the angle of the stainless trim?

Suggestions? Tkx Jim F

I redid some several years ago, what I did was make staples out of a heavy gauge wire, and reinstalled them on the stainless that way. Kind of time-consuming making the staples, but I figured it would be the best way. I haven't put anything back on the car yet to see how it worked but I hope it will go right back on as the original was?

That said how do you recommend installing the new felts to the stainless trim?

I bought mine through Rubber the Right Way, and they came with replacement staples which I used. They worked very well; the method I used was to clamp one end of the fuzzy strip to the stainless with vice grips. I then located the original staple holes with a sharp pointed tool followed by a small drill bit (in a drill motor) to open the holes in the felt. Then inserted a staple and bent over the ends followed by a good squeeze with appropriate pliers.

Steve

Slosteve, Tkx for the lead on Rubber the right way. I ordered the staples they are sold by the each @ .07 ea I got 30 and total was a bit over 4.00 out the door. A lot better then making them! They are steel not stainless but the original steel ones lasted 50 years. Tkx again Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest RivieraParadise

Question, do the felts from rubber the right way, or any felt kits for that matter, come with the metal backing that staples to the trim? Mine are all rusted out so I'm not sure if I need to find some of these "felt channels" on eBay or somewhere, or if they are included with the kits. Thanks!

Guest RivieraParadise
Yes they come with the metal backing. Rubber the right way gets them made to order so there is some lead time. But well worth the wait

Perfect, thanks for the info.

They sell the staples separately as that is who sold them to me. and yes you need them as there no other way to attach. It is very time consuming to align all those holes to staple them in.