need some good advice

Joseph44

Hi Guys: I posted this in the buick section but wanted to post here I'll cut to the chase: I installed new a/c in my 1983 buick prk ave wont work I was told my touch climate control not working shop manual says these can't be swapped my QUESTION what is my alternative to get this unit working? Any help would be greatly appreciated HELP. I 'll say thanks in advance!!!!

If you want good advice, you the need to provide good information. What does "installed a new A/C" mean? Is this a new compressor? A rebuit? A complete aftermarket system like Vintage Air? Did you do the work or a shop? Was the control working before the replacement?

Hi Joe: You helped me once before, But to answer your questions: Everything under hood Comp, coolant lines, dryer all new, I did not do work not where I live the shop I went to for 20yrs did work, A/c did not work everything works on cold air I had the comp brain checked was fine, fan works, the touch control fault light would come on after 1/2 minutes thought the actuator doors where not working was told they where good. Mech told me the Touch control box was not working. I have the shop manual which says the boxes can not be switched I would guess there vehical specific.I went to dealer NO HELP tried going to G M didn't know how to navigate to find answers! So Joe that's the story don't know what I can do if you can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!!

I only have a 1984 Buick Chassis Service Manual to go by, so I am guessing the 1983 Chassis Service Manual is similar. The 1984 Manual has great step by step diagnosis sections for the Electronic Touch Climate Control System and all of its components. I would go back to your Service Manual and read it closely. I doubt that there is any component that cannot be swapped with one from a parts vehicle. While I have only worked on a 1984 instead of a 1983, there are no vehicle specific components in the 1984 system, so I really doubt that is the case in 1983. I wonder if the section you were reading was explaining that you can't swap from the Electronic Touch Control System to a Manual System?

I am trying to understand. Did you have all of the parts that have refrigerant (freon R-12) flow through replaced? That would include the evaporator core, hoses, compressor, accumulator/dryer, condenser, and the orfice. Is that what you / the shop did?

Does the car have "automatic touch climate control"? If so, the control heads can be exchanged. There is no reason you can not replace the a/c control head if it is the same part number.

Are the lights flashing on the control head? If so, then there is another problem possibly happening other than the control head. Could be a mode motor.

Does the a/c compressor ever go on? If not, it might be the control head or the WIRING, or engine control module (ECM) as the ECM turns on and off the compressor.

To really help, try to explain clearly what is really going on and what is happening when you try to change the settings. Problem might as simple as a bad ground to the system.

Thanks for the response guys, here is what happens: System is off but top light blinks put it to 85 deg. light stys off for 1/2 minutes then comes on this happens in every temp setting. Comp. runs but no cool air. Now living in Florida there was an inline water shutoff on water line from water pump to heater core if I leave that valve open hot air bleeds through. Now I did purchase a touch control panel on e-bay ??? that one worked the same way. Now let me ask this is the panel operation controlled by the ecm? That's all I can think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance!!! By the way the mech. who worked on the system is very reliable.

Do you have the Buick Factory Chassis Service Manual? If so, simply follow the troubleshooting procedure step by step and I think you will find the problem. Other than that, you could swap the ecm if you just want to throw parts at it hoping to find the right one that fixes it. At least in the 1984, there are several different sensors that contribute to the proper operation of the system. A bad sensor somewhere could cause a problem but I have no idea what would cause the particular problem that you are experiencing.