trouble with 67 Riv driver side door latch

rocky5517

post-85985-143142925562_thumb.jpgDriver side door latch broke/ was repaired but the man said it was sloppy and will break again , which I believe because there is a lot of play now. Car has Non-power locks, paddle type lever. The body manual refers to it as some type of "remote".

Where in the world will I find this?? Someone gave me the Ames Performance catalogue, and this picture ( correct year) shows the general piece I need, but my question is; how compatible are GM parts, and is this one of them??

Someone told me Ames armrests for Pontiacs fit the Riv's.

Sam from (freezing) Jersey

The same part is probably used in other GM makes - all you need is the correct GM part number (...from a '67 Riviera Parts Manual ?), so you can verify what year(s) and models use the same part via a Hollander interchange reference manual. You might also source a good 'used' part from a parts car via a 'used parts' request on this forum, or other similar Buick forums.

Sam,

I have also heard the part is interchangeable with other GM models of same era. I've seen pictures of them and they sure look the same but I have never tried a new one. Just checked ebay and there are some on there. If new doesn't work you can always get a good used one and if you do that make sure the spring isn't rusted as the return springs typically rust and break.

These are specific to location, left driver door and right passenger door. Can't recall but think your car has the standard interior.

On cars with Deluxe interiors with two handles there two of them in each door. The rear one on driver door interchanges with the front one on passenger door and vice versa so each door has a right and left.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest CARS, Inc.

Sam,

I pulled the exact diagrams for the 67 RIV and found the part numbers for the "control, remote". GM part number is 4540964 LH, Only seems to fit 66-67 Rivs in the Buick. I believe they may also fit 66-67 Olds Toronado. Here is the backup.

Part Number

post-99705-143142926305_thumb.jpg

Exploded View Of Door

post-99705-143142926317_thumb.jpg

Part Names

post-99705-143142926341_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all who replied. I have a much better idea of how to proceed now. I see that a big part of owning a classic is identifying and tracking down parts, which can be fun/fustrating/challenging, depending on your mood. I find it fun, usually. I looked in my '67 Fisher Body Parts Illustrations, and on page 67 they show the part and it's called " Control Ass'ly, door lock remote front". Says it's common to Toronado and Eldorado. The book says "group # 10,500" but Jeff has the real part number, which is really helpful.