Cord 810-812 (Old Cadillac Conversion) question

X-Frame

Does anyone here posess a set of dimensions for the 1936-37 Cords? We are wondering what the front sub-frame side rail width is where it attaches to the body frame C channel rails?

I have learned that a common conversion during the 1950s was changing the engine (and drive) to RWD Cadillac? Is anyone familiar with that and have any examples? i would think this would NOT be an easy modification considering the body is partly unitized as well as having flat floors? I am suspecting they cut the frame of an early c. 1951-1953 Cadillac and attach it to the body rails?

Thanks!

Eric

I saw one of these many years ago. A Cord Westchester with a 1953 Cadillac drivetrain installed. It was fit in the original Cord frame, the floor board was cut out to fit the hydramatic transmission. I don't know what they used for motor mounts. The one I saw was done very crudely and was never completely finished. Most of the conversions were done in the 1950's as "backyard jobs" and that was before people started swapping out stub frames, ect, which is a complicated process.

I have a 36 810 Phaeton with a Flathead Cadillac Conversion. They used the original front sub frame and sprung the Cadillac rear end on the original springs. They of course cut the floor pan for a transmission tunnel. Lots of work was done to adapt a steering box which might have come from a 37 Lasalle by the Steering wheel they used. Looks to be a complicated conversion. You would be better if looking to convert one to use a 75 era Cadillac Eldorado with Front wheel drive. I've heard the sub frame from the Cadillac is close dimensions to the cord and is the easiest conversion. A Toronado or Buick Riviera from the same era may work but you would have to do some Checking.

I have a 36 810 Phaeton with a Flathead Cadillac Conversion. They used the original front sub frame and sprung the Cadillac rear end on the original springs. They of course cut the floor pan for a transmission tunnel. Lots of work was done to adapt a steering box which might have come from a 37 Lasalle by the Steering wheel they used. Looks to be a complicated conversion.

So you are saying they left the front sub with the large banjo openings on the car? So, how did they mount the engine on the rails and did they just cut through the first cross body support under the firewall?

Eric

They took the control arms out and just left the frame. They put in what looks like a truck Axle up front. They did cut through the front brace but added a huge tube crossmember with a drop in it (harvested from something) which also acts as a tranny mount,( Some of the work and fit is pretty good) Of course they had to cut notches in the tube for the dual exhaust which they did balance with an H pipe. They did actually use a set of supercharged exhaust pipes through the fenders. I was told it was supercharged when I bought it sight unseen and a professional appraiser even noted it was. I was hoping they had the year wrong and it was an 812 but as I expected it was just pipes and hood from a supercharged 812 on an 810. (I didn't pay any extra for being supercharged so it didn't really matter. I can still restore it with a set of Supercharged exhaust manifolds and it will just be naturally aspirated so not a big deal. 810's weren't supercharged so no sense trying to fool anyone.

They took the control arms out and just left the frame. They put in what looks like a truck Axle up front. They did cut through the front brace but added a huge tube crossmember with a drop in it (harvested from something) which also acts as a tranny mount,( Some of the work and fit is pretty good) Of course they had to cut notches in the tube for the dual exhaust which they did balance with an H pipe. They did actually use a set of supercharged exhaust pipes through the fenders. I was told it was supercharged when I bought it sight unseen and a professional appraiser even noted it was. I was hoping they had the year wrong and it was an 812 but as I expected it was just pipes and hood from a supercharged 812 on an 810. (I didn't pay any extra for being supercharged so it didn't really matter. I can still restore it with a set of Supercharged exhaust manifolds and it will just be naturally aspirated so not a big deal. 810's weren't supercharged so no sense trying to fool anyone.

Sounds like this car I ran across the other day. Is it now yours?

http://www.carbuffs.com/grahamhollywood41green.htm

Eric

Hollywoods and Skylarks are simple to do an engine swap since they are RWD to begin with. I sort of doubt that this Hollywood is his 810.

True. What I find coincidental??? is that Graham did do some sloppy conversions and not sure of what I am seeing here with the various cutouts was their modifications versus the owners? But the way he is describing his Cord conversion pretty much matches what I am seeing on this Hollywood and find it curious.

This is my 810 [ATTACH=CONFIG]283050[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]283051[/ATTACH]

Definately different (and better looking than that green-gray one with a sagging front end). Any pics of the way they mounted the engine to the front sub and the cutouts?

Thanks.

Ahhh... no wonder. I was thinking of the massive 425-cid with the large side mount transmission/differential combo from the first Toronados but this used a 1979 smaller 307-cid.