1926 Chrysler Phaeton

Guest Beakoo

I'm new to the forum and just purchased a restored 1926 Chrysler 58 Phaeton.

The car is RHD and was originally shipped to Austraila in 1926. It was restored in 1994 and then shipped to South Africa.

The fellow I bought the car from drove and enjoyed the car in South Africa and then had the car shipped to his home

here in East Texas. He shipped the car here in 2002, drove it about 500 miles and then put it in his barn under a cover.

It sat there until I took it out of the barn this year.

After owning several antique vehicles over the years I have these questions:

I was surprised to see that this vehicle has a 6V negative ground electrical system.

everthing I've owned in the past; 1951 and earlier was all Positive ground.

Is it true that cars shipped overseas to the UK or Aussi land were all Neg ground elect systems?

I'm also looking for any source of parts for this car as I need to service the brakes, etc

Thanks for any help and would love to contact anyone who owns one of these cars......:cool:

I suspect someone installed the battery wrong.

I had a co worker who had to pry open a battery cable end to get the battery in wrong on a early Ford.

The ammeter showed it was charging with the engine not running, it was a bit over his head on how this could happen.

Thanks Cordguy; I appreciate the response.

What I can't understand is that the darn thing starts up and runs fine

with the battery negative terminal going to ground.. Is this possible?

It does turn over very slowly but does start and run. All the lights work as well..

The prior owner claims this is the way the car has been since he bought it several years ago.. Crazy deal!!

I had a Triumph TR4 that was mistakenly charged from dead flat with reverse polarity, effectively changing the polarity of the battery. Car started and ran, though rough, amp gauge reading was reversed. Don't know enough about electrics to explain this, maybe others can help.

Oddly enough a friend of mine did this on a Triumph TR3. Installed the battery backward, went for a long drive and reversed the polarity of the battery by charging it wrong way round. A mechanic advised him to leave it alone, a battery can be charged backwards but if you try to reverse it again it will be ruined.

The battery really won't be too happy charged wrong way round,,!!!

Read the section in Dykes' manual for general batty info,,

If someone does this to a good battery,,,this may be the cheepest thing they distroy

Cheers,,,Ben

Do not assume there is an error in how the battery is hooked up. I have a 1928 Gardner roadster, and it is a 6 volt, positive ground system. I have the owners manual, and it states that is how it is connected in the system. I bet your ammeter shows it is charging correctly when it is running. (Assuming the generator is working.) Talk to some Chrysler owners of this era.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. This is really a strange deal.

Like 28 Chrysler says above, both his Model 62 and Model 60 are both positive ground systems.. He also notes that his friends four cylinder cars are both positive ground as well; and indeed my manual on my car states positive ground as well. I'm sitting here with a negative ground hookup to the battery that shows a positive charge with the engine above idle and of course a discharge when lights, etc are turned on with the engine off.

The battery seems healthy and coming up to a 100% on the charger. I guess I will drive it for a while and see how it does....

Again thanks for all the info..

One other question for 28 Chrysler: I have been spoiled by being able to find anything needed for my Model T and A cars

; but can find nothing for 25-28 Chrysler four cylinder cars. Who do you use????