Need AC Advice

ronbarn

My '61 Cadillac Convertible, "Big Red", has factory AC which doesn't work worth a darn. Have had a couple of "experts" look at it with insignificant improvement. Am I expecting too much? Just how good should a '61 vintage AC work? Am told that the market for add-on AC units had all but disappeared and units that are available may cost thousands of dollars. I need some help!

After market AC is still available. I had one put into my 91 Jeep when it was a few years old. Does not seem to work as well as the more expensive factory unit. As I recall it was about $1000 for the full install. (Factory parts alone without install was between $1500 and $2000.)<P>As I recall the factory air in my family's 63 Plymouth station wagon did a good job in the the Arizona summer. I suspect that your 61 did a good job of cooling when it was new. Just got to figure out what is keeping down the efficiency.

Ron~~~ I am glad you brought this subject up.<BR>My '57 Cadillac AC is certainly not the best in the world. I have heard that they were only fair when new. Thus I whould be interested in how the AC works for other owners of cars in the '50s. I have not had the'57 checked out yet but it is on my list of things to do..<BR> As to after market AC, I have a Vintage air <BR>AC in my '46 Ford and it works like a champion here in Fl. The cost was somewere <BR>around a $ 1,000 plus installation.<BR>later-jac

Ron ~~ Put the top down!!! Seriously, if you can find a way to make them work any better, let me know. My '55 Buick Century HTP doesn't cool off worth a darn even though John had a lot of work done on the AC before selling me the car.<P>Back in 1956 I had a '56 Buick Htp with factory air. For 2 summers in south Texas and 3 in Charleston, SC I could cool it down so much that a coat would feel good. They WORKED when new, but like me have slowed down with age. '56 was in my AF days, and as I recall, all of the guys in my squadron with air conditioned cars had the same good cooling.<P>Howard

Ron~~~ I would suggest that you get the catalog from Vintage Air. It is much better than their web site. They have dealers around the country with four of them in Alabama-Athens, Newport, Gadsden and Pinson.<BR> Let me know if you live near any of these citys and I will e-mail/post there address and phone number. If you have trouble getting their catalog let me know and I will send you one of mine.<BR>later-jac

Ron~~~ The only problem that I foresee is the bracket to hold the compressor. You may have to do some research on that or make one.<BR>If that is the only problem let me know . I had a bracket problem for a generator and after much searching I found a source which I can come up with a little digging thru the records.<BR>later-jac

Ron,<BR>I have Vintage air on all my old buicks and the Monster Cooler kept my 48 Wagon so cold I could hang meat in it.<BR>They make a good product and they back it up.<BR>I am going on Americruise in my 47 with them in July if I can get the temp down in it.<BR>Get their catalog, well worth the 5 bucks. You will learn all you ever wanted to know about A/C. <BR>BTW, the do lots of other cars beside streetrods.<BR>Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Latest, breaking news - Big Red is going to be a cool dude! One of the members of the local club is a streetrodder and has installed several of the Vintage Air AC units. Looked over their catalog and ordered the Monster Cool or whatever they call it. To the discerning eye there will be obvious non-original features, but to the died-in-the-wool tourist who drives a lot down here in the South one of the most essential non-original features will be cool air. <P>Ordered unit today - will drop off Big Red before we leave for the Reliability Tour (wonder if they make a unit for a '11 Hudson) and will hopefully have AC by the time we get back - at least ready for Founders Tour.<P>Will keep you all posted on the experience.

Ron~~~ Sure they can adapt an AC for your 1911 Hudson. Well , second thought, You may need an auxiliary engine to supplement that 26 or 33 brake H.P. Come June , July, <BR>August, and Sept. there are days when it would be worth it. wink.gif :cool

Ron, No AC but will bring an extra cooler for the Hudson to the Reliability Tour. That way you can put the coolant inside your body and let it work its way to the outside.<P>HV<p>[This message has been edited by hvscotyard (edited 05-13-2000).]