Source for a rebuilt steering gear box (I'm a newbie, just purchaed a 1965 Riviera)

Guest doublj70

Guest doublj70

Hello,

I just joined the forum, and signed up for the association. I just purchased a clean 1965 driver, that's been sitting a few years. The steering gear box is leaking, so I was going to buy a rebuilt, but in looking online there are different variations that look different than mine, and some are listed as covering a wide range of models. Is there a specific box for a 65 Riviera? Does anyone have a good source to buy a rebuilt box they could refer? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! John

Here's a pic of the new ride:

post-102272-143142655957_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Dan with the Lares Corp. is the go to guy for steering gear boxes. He's a member of this forum and a big supporter of the ROA. As long as you're swapping out the gear box, bolt in a variable ratio box as was available with the H2 handling option.

Ed

Here's the link to Lares, Corp. http://www.larescorp.com/

The variable ratio box is correct for `69...no variable ratio box in `65.

How many turns for a standard `65 box?

How many turns for an H2 `65 box?

How many turns for the first variable box in `69?

Did GM make different ratios for the variable box? If so, when, what applications, how many turns?

Dan?

Thanks,

Tom Mooney

The variable ratio box is correct for `69...no variable ratio box in `65.

How many turns for a standard `65 box?

How many turns for an H2 `65 box?How many turns for the first variable box in `69?

Did GM make different ratios for the variable box? If so, when, what applications, how many turns?

Dan?

Thanks,

Tom Mooney

This is what I found for the questions I've highighlighted. Plus some addional info on the 65's H2 option

The Ride and Handling package was commonly used on the Gran Sport, but was a separate option. The modified steering improved the turning ratio from the standard 17 ½:1 (approximately 3 ¼ turns) to a 15:1 ratio ( approximately 2 ½ turns). The springs were stiffer and caused the car to sit an inch lower. The shocks were firmer, causing different weight distribution.

Perhaps Dan can answer the other questions.

Ed

Sorry guys I've been slacking on checking the forums!!! The Variable ratio gear will be close to 3- 3 1/4 turns lock to lock as where your standard ratio will be 3 1/2-4 turns. The Variable Ratio option doesn't make a huge difference in actual turns lock to lock, but because of the sharp tooth ball nut it turns faster near the end of the case travel on each end. That gives you a firmer feeling steering while cornering while not actually having to use an entire parking lot to turn your car around.

Again I appreciate the kind words Tom and Ed! You guys rock!

Sorry guys I've been slacking on checking the forums!!! The Variable ratio gear will be close to 3- 3 1/4 turns lock to lock as where your standard ratio will be 3 1/2-4 turns. The Variable Ratio option doesn't make a huge difference in actual turns lock to lock, but because of the sharp tooth ball nut it turns faster near the end of the case travel on each end. That gives you a firmer feeling steering while cornering while not actually having to use an entire parking lot to turn your car around.

Again I appreciate the kind words Tom and Ed! You guys rock!

Hi Dan,

This is consistent with my experience. My standard steering `65 Rivs are 3 and 7/8ths lock to lock and my H2 equipped cars are exactly one turn less at 2 and 7/8ths turns lock to lock.

I have a `65 that is 3 and 1/4 turns but the previous owner informed me the box is not original and I suspect it may be a variable ratio box. BTW, it has a great feel, just "right".

Is there any way to tell a variable ratio box from a straight ratio box from the outside? Any distinct markings on the cover plate?

The first gen boxes are marked with week/year. Does this continue up thru later years? Is there an industry reference to identify steering boxes? Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer,

Tom

Dan and Tom,

Thanks for the information. I guess when I typed variable ratio in my post, I should have said quicker ratio. Good to know the difference. Now all I need to know is what p/n or from which car do I find a variable ratio box that will bolt into my '64?

Ed

We have found two of the same year cars with the same options. One has the standard ratio, one has variable. From the outside you cannot see a difference. The only way to tell would be turning it lock to lock and watching the sector shaft. Near the end of case travel it will look like the sector shaft will turn faster on the variable ratio, as where the standard will travel at the same speed from lock to lock.

We build our variable ratio boxes to order. So Ed if you want one built in the future just let me know.

Good info. I have a '73 Catalina with the variable ratio with the smaller steering wheel sure do make for more enjoyable driving. Seems they were first available about '69? I think adding that gear would be a plus for our earlier cars-Dan Mpls. Mn.

Hi Guys!

I thought I remembered a Pontiac Trans Am (second generation) box back in the day that some of the handling guys really wanted to score. I have heard of Lares and been to their core gear supplier at French Lake Auto Parts in Annandale, Minnesota. Lares has a very good reputation in this part of the world! Also, watch for some OEM magic coming to some Luxury cars soon, variable ratio power racks that change the steering ratio based on vehicle speed and steering wheel position sensor inputs! There are really getting cars ready to drive themselves!

Tim

Hi Tim! Thanks for the kind words. Those guys at French Lake are great! We love working with them.

The second gen Trans Am box is actually a smaller case with the same mounts. The issue you run into trying to use one of these on a Riv is you lose some case travel. It makes it more difficult to turn around or park the car. Not too bad, but noticeable. We have those style boxes in a fast ratio (2.5 turns lock to lock).

The variable ratio Riv box is still the larger case with a sharp tooth ball nut and sector shaft. So you get full case travel with a faster feeling steering.