So you want to sell and make big money on Ebay!

auburnseeker

Guest AlCapone

The negative feedback received will certainly be nullified when the potential buyer reads your response, you can also leave positive for the buyer with all negative remarks. Make sure you place him on your cant bid list for future sales. Wayne

I always do free shipping and add it into the cost. That eliminates shipping questions for the most part. It also makes my prices seem high, but that's fine with me. In the past, before I did that, I just guesstimated it and never used eBay shipping, so they made $0 on my shipping.

When I sell something I just pack it and take it to the post office for them to process. I've never understood the whole eBay shipping thing.

As far as this guy, I'd take the negative feedback and put a reply under it. Any reasonable future buyer would see what happened, if not, you probably wouldn't want that customer anyway.

The only problem with this is ebay makes atleast 11 percent on your shipping charges whether you make them part of the cost of the item or charge them separate. They get their cut off the entire transaction not just the cost of the item. I just mailed an item to Hong Kong (I must be one of the few guys exporting to their) It was pretty much the same item as the Germany one. Shipping to their was just under 13.00. Usually the coast to either continent from the US is about the same so that Germany one is going to cost that same amount before the cost of the mailer. We are over 14.00 right their with the mailer. All this over a 3.00 item. Wow. Total labor for this entire deal Probably less than .50 an hour buy the time it's said and done. Somedays boy Somedays:rolleyes:

In general international bidders have been very good to deal with. They are usually quite happy to pay whatever they have to, to be able to get the parts in the first place. This is one of the exceptions. I've had as much trouble with domestic buyers as well. That's what this thread was started with. I actually ship parts out of the country almost every day. Today was Suppose to be Russia, Hong Kong and Germany. I have 2 piles put aside for a bidder from the UK and one from Switzerland. anyone selling on Feebay that doesn't offer international shipping, especially in the car parts department is really cutting themselves short.

I have always paid 10% of the total. I just figure that in when I set my price. I don't even know what the PayPal fee is, I just know it's minimal. You sell way more than I do, so I'm sure you have a better perspective on it all. Half my stuff is local pickup only because I don't feel like trying to ship big stuff. As I gather boxes, I change it up. For example when I bought my gas tank, that box held some inner fenders perfectly, so those went from local pickup to a higher price with free shipping.

Basically if I have a box to put it in, I'll ship it. There is nothing worse than trying to find a box in some weird dimension that nobody sells and you don't have.

I don't list anything 'boxable' unless I will see at least $10.00 in my pocket after fees. It's not worth the trip to the Post Office for anything less. Anything I list as an auction ends up selling at the opening bid 99% of the time, so I've gone over to more Buy-It-Now's. The days of 'start it at $1.00 and wait for the bidding frenzy ' are over, at least for me.

If I did only buy it nows I would have a basement full of junk. (that's what it is when no one wants it) and would have given away everything that was valuable. I tell everyone I buy from, you will never guess what the most valuable thing is a parts lot is. It's never what you think. It's always some random part I almost didn't take the time to list. I sold a NOS fully polished 53 Pontiac Deluxe steering wheel for 100.00 last night. I sold a gas cap which I literally have atleast 50 more of for 45.00. It's a plain old fenderwell cap. I've sold bolts and springs for more money than NOS Corvette rocker moldings. If it wasn't for bidding I would never be able to buy stuff to sell. Anything that looks valuable and really isn't you have to pay a premium for and it never brings enough of a margin to justify buying it. A pair of NOS 78 Cadillac bumper ends with tail lights went for 100.00 each. It's a shame because I paid 200.00 each for them. The buyer was even crazy enough to say that he wasn't going to bid on them (he was the only bidder) because he didn't think he would win them both. So I guess he was willing to wait for the next NOS pair to come along. :rolleyes: I can only imagine when that will be.