Dr. Samuel L. Scher and Richard C. Paine Jr.

automuseum

I have the pleasure of curating the collection at the Seal Cove Auto Museum, founded by Richard C. Paine Jr., back in the 1960s.

In 1965, Richard purchased 41 automobiles from Dr. Samuel L. Scher. Dr. Scher had, in turn, purchased cars from well known collectors over the preceding years; James Melton, Elmer Bemis, Henry Austin Clark Jr., to name but a few.

My dilemma is that Dr. Scher left no notes as to where his cars came from, and Richard Paine kept even less in the way of notes. Determining provenance is, and has been, a facinating challenge.

Many of the ex Scher - Paine cars were sold at auction in 2008 after Richard's passing, others were sold or traded off long before, and many thankfully remain on exhibit at the Seal Cove.

I naturally love to get any information about Dr. Scher and Richard Paine, or for that matter information about any of the cars at the Museum. If you own, or know about, any of the Scher or Paine cars, past and present, please do let me know.

(Example - Here is the 1908 Locomobile we will be showing at Misslewood and Amelia Island this year. Came from Dr. Scher in 1965... Where did Dr. Scher get it???)post-69114-143142593591_thumb.jpg

Guest cben09

Try for Ernest Conklin or Conglin,,,say around 1955,,,Nj I think,,,Nice Loco

Maybee the Glidden tour that ended in Montreal,,

Forty years ago i would'a rememberd,,,Cheers,,Ben

We all owe the early collectors a big thank you for saving the cars they did. I too find it most interesting to trace the history of cars that have been in the hobby since the 1940's and 1950's. My 1912 Ford Touring was the very first car in the Elmer Bemis collection, restored in time for the Glidden Tour in 1950. It still has that 1950 restoration, and looks good from 20 feet away, I'm 3 months younger than the restoration, and look better from 20 feet as well. Bob

Guest cben09

These were the days when the trailer for the cars was yet to happen,,

The one that suprised us was Terry Kilbourne in his 65hp Pierce,,,,

Towing a 1902 -- 1 cyl runabout on a trailer,,Anderson Museum meet

Dont recall the year,,,Cheers,,Ben

I have had the pleasure of visiting the Seal Cove Museum back when Richard Paine was still there to greet us and to talk about his 100 cars and 100 motorcycles on display.

Thankfully Barbara and Richard Fox and their many associates rallied to save as much of the collection as possible for our future.

One of my favorite collections of early vehicles, and Mr. Paine even encouraged our then-6-year-old grandson to help paint a Hit-and-Miss engine, and welcomed us into the museum, even though it was a few days prior to "The Season" - and then said he could not charge us admission since they were not yet officially open until June 1st.

Yes indeed... Had some fun with the 1957 AACA/VMCCA roster finding our Holsman. It was listed back then as being owned by "T.P. Museum".... Couldn't imagine at first what "T.P." stood for until finally I remembered - Thompson Products; our car once belonged to the Thompson Products Auto Album museum founded by Frederick C. Crawford. Today, what is left of his collection is part of the Western Reserve Historical Society.

Richard Paine owned at least two different Model K Fords; I believe they both once belonged to Bemis. We still have a 1908 Model K 640 Roadster, number K 953, having been previously owned by Dr. Samuel Scher, John Hebden, and attributed to Elmer Bemis subject to confirmation.

Kind words and great memories... thank you.

Barbara and Dick are still very involved with the Museum and autos. Barbara organized the recent Chrome Glidden (“MAINE It’s a SHORE thing”)... I had a great time touring the group at the Museum.

Kind words and great memories... thank you.

Barbara and Dick are still very involved with the Museum and autos. Barbara organized the recent Chrome Glidden (“MAINE It’s a SHORE thing”)... I had a great time touring the group at the Museum.

We had planned to attend the Chrome Glidden (“MAINE It’s a SHORE thing”). Regrettably it was held the same week as the AACA Dual Meet, and we were obligated to show and to judge there.