90 tc thermostat housing bolts

hi guys! it never ends..:) after replacing thermostat and reinstalling the housing on the waterbox properly, there is still coolant seeping through it...

got new gasket and want to replace the bolts now...one of them was replaced by a former owner and it is not the original..both of them dont look too good so I want to replace them...

any idea WHERE I could get them?

hi guys! it never ends..:) after replacing thermostat and reinstalling the housing on the waterbox properly, there is still coolant seeping through it...

got new gasket and want to replace the bolts now...one of them was replaced by a former owner and it is not the original..both of them dont look too good so I want to replace them...

any idea WHERE I could get them?

Like they say on TV "ACE is the place for your helpful hardware man" they have everything from China cheap to grade 8 great, or yopur could go to the local auto parts store, carry in what you've got and you should be able to get out the door with what you need.

I had luck with the local Chrysler dealer"s parts department for a thermostat bolt. The 89 thermostat bolt is an oddball and will not show up at Ace Hardware. The bolt has threads on both ends with the hex head in the middle. I have an 89 2.2 turbo, but the 90 V6 probably is different. I asked the parts man At Roesch Chrysler in Elmhurst IL. He did not have the bolt that held the thermostat and oil dipstick. He said the part was discontinued, but he search the nationally and found it in a few locations.

OK!!! here we go...got fitting bolts....new gasket...sealant...want to screw it in...1 screw works...the other one does not...NO THREAD anymore...and thats the reason why there was a different and longer screw inthere to begin with..

I suppose I cant just switch out the waterbox...haha...so I need to have someone come over to rethread it...any other idea??!?!

OK!!! here we go...got fitting bolts....new gasket...sealant...want to screw it in...1 screw works...the other one does not...NO THREAD anymore...and thats the reason why there was a different and longer screw inthere to begin with..

I suppose I cant just switch out the waterbox...haha...so I need to have someone come over to rethread it...any other idea??!?!

Heli coil, check out this u-tube

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRFYa6sjhh_E&ei=CLibU_7VEMetyAT6sIKwDA&usg=AFQjCNGV5J-rke6mmPS3WhySJ8Mu6AuljQ&bvm=bv.68911936,d.aWw

if your odd screw was longer and not wider this is the first best way to repair,

Heli coil, check out this u-tube

if your odd screw was longer and not wider this is the first best way to repair,

Interesting, using a MOPAR 2.2/2.5 head in demonstration, installing a stud that would never be installed in this location. A well done demonstration otherwise.

yep...so after successfully rethreading the issue, put everything back together..test drove...saw some leakage...with engine running I fastened both bolts veeery carefully and dang...

the new thread was f$^%&*@#(@#$( again...so I am f^#*$( ... I want to drive it off a cliff now

yep...so after successfully rethreading the issue, put everything back together..test drove...saw some leakage...with engine running I fastened both bolts veeery carefully and dang...

the new thread was f$^%&*@#(@#$( again...so I am f^#*$( ... I want to drive it off a cliff now

Sounds like something isn't flat where it should be, usually the thermostat housing, Heli Coil should hold torque to spec. Lay some medium to fine sandpaper on a very flat hard surface and scuff the mating surface of the thermostat housing, that will tell you if it's the problem. Every now and then even a brand new one will come out of the box with a bad mating surface. I don't know how available this piece is, but if it's not to bad you can continue to sand by hand, or very carefully touch it with a belt sander. If it's the motor side; a good old fashioned thick cork gasket and indian head gasket goo, sometimes even a double gasket and goo might be all you can do to stop the ooze. After that you need real machine shop tools or new parts.