I have begun the start on another Oldsmobile build

This week I picked up for free what is supposed to be a 1959 371 motor and thinking about recreating the 53 Olds I pieced togather back in 85 but this time a 2 door hard top instead of a 2 door sedan if I can find one,this time I have a little more knowledge of those cars and I now know where I can go to hook that 371 up to a 4 speed hydro instead of using a jetaway trans. Some of you might not like it since its not exactly going to be a all original car but it will all bolt togather with no cutting or modifications,the car I built in 85 with mostly junkyard parts would blow away a then almost new corvette but I know it will not do it to a almost new one now. Its going to be alot harder to build today since the junkyards I got parts for the last build are just memories and getting a body for around 200 dollars today will be next to impossible so it might take me a few years but I am going to have another mid 50s Olds,I should have never gotten rid of the other 53 since it had the best of all worlds. It was quick out of the hole and plenty of top end and if i kept my foot out of it would get almost 20 miles to the gallon on the highway and I let it go.

A few years ago I found a 53 2 door hard top in Montana cheap but did not have a way to get it,I am going to get everything needed for the drivetrain since I only have a motor at this time and I hope a decent body comes along. I am not totally set on a 53 and will consider all the years of the 50s to put this motor in.

Jeff, I presume you meant converting a 371 to a Dual Range Hydro from the 371's Controlled Coupling Hydro. That is a easy conversion to do, however the Controlled Coupling with a stock or mild hop up 371 will beat the Dual Range in performance, smoothness (if you want). Overall efficiency is equal as both transmissions have split torque in all ranges. In a drag race, the Controlled Coupling will get out in front and stay out in front because of it's 3.97 first gear compared to the Dual Range 3.82.

FYI,they are both called Hydro's.

I do not have a trans yet and if the car I buy still has the dual range I would like to use it but I am looking for a jetaway just in case it does not,if I find one that runs I will probably not use the 371 but I am looking for one that does not run.

Jeff, I presume you meant converting a 371 to a Dual Range Hydro from the 371's Controlled Coupling Hydro. That is a easy conversion to do, however the Controlled Coupling with a stock or mild hop up 371 will beat the Dual Range in performance, smoothness (if you want). Overall efficiency is equal as both transmissions have split torque in all ranges. In a drag race, the Controlled Coupling will get out in front and stay out in front because of it's 3.97 first gear compared to the Dual Range 3.82.

FYI,they are both called Hydro's.

I do not have a trans yet and if the car I buy still has the dual range I would like to use it but I am looking for a jetaway just in case it does not,if I find one that runs I will probably not use the 371 but I am looking for one that does not run.

I forgot to mention that Dual Range, and Controlled Coupling HydraMatic are both Dual range in operation. Interesting how Pontiac first calls Controlled Coupling HydraMatic "StratoFlight", then later in 58 or 59 calls it "Super HydraMatic", and Olds calls it "Jetaway", and then further Cadillac calls it "315" HydraMatic or "P 315 HydraMatic". I prefer Controlled coupling HydraMatic, after all they "HydraMatic Division " designed and built it!