Interior dilemna

alini

Im starting to organize to do the interior of the car. My car was a standard power 65 in blue vinyl. I dont want the blue vinyl, so I'm shopping for other colors/materials. Clarks says they can use a material of my choice (within reason) and use 8 yards of material, but Im thinking the factory color pallet may unveil something. The larger problem...my door panels are shot, dry rotted and severely color faded. So I am more or less having to rebuild the entire thing. Clarks doesnt do 'Standard' 65 door panels. I'm okay doing 'Custom' door panels, but obviously missing all the parts. Anyone got a parts breakdown? What do I need to get??

I'll start and hopefully others will chime in on what parts I've left out. If you want to do a custom interior for a '65, the first thing you need to think about is adding a door handle for the back seat passengers. You'll have to take a look at your door and determine if it can be drilled for the holes for the screws and the spline for the handle. Then you'll need that part and the rods, etc. are used to open the door as well as the extra door handles.

Inside you'll need to find the lower arm rest and the upper arm rest then, depending on if you have power windows or not, you'll need the arm rest extension, plus all of the chrome trim that goes with those parts. If you do have the power windows, you'll need a different connectors and switches, and if you have a power seat, you'll need the wiring and switch for that as well. The wood grain is mounted to steel panels, one for the door and one for the back seat.

I'm sure the list goes on. Probably easiest to find a donor car that's complete and take everything from it. Or find an upholsterer and have some standard panels made - easier, cheaper, quicker, less headaches trying to find parts. :)

Didnt realize the door handle worked inside the door, I thought the two might be connected on the inside handle. Knowing I need to do that much work, I'll just go get the standards done or do some custom touch on them myself.

Chris, you don't have to have the rear door handle to install the custom door panels. Have seen a few of these done, but don't have pictures. Without the handle, all you see on the armrest is the slot between the panel and the rest where the handle sticks out. Most people would not know it was missing.

I wonder what the 'joystick' is for too? I see the four window switches and the two switches for the power vents. I see the mirror control on the top of the door panel....so whats the one on the door handle ledge??

I noticed that and that the door sill plate are removed. The door hinge area is clean apart from the rust, so its hard to tell which direction they are going (apart I hope). Thanks for the reply about the seat switch, didnt realize it was on the door and why someone mentioned getting a harness. Why did they put it on the door when the standards are already on the seat?? Is the door pull that much bigger you cant reach it??

I noticed that and that the door sill plate are removed. The door hinge area is clean apart from the rust, so its hard to tell which direction they are going (apart I hope). Thanks for the reply about the seat switch, didnt realize it was on the door and why someone mentioned getting a harness. Why did they put it on the door when the standards are already on the seat?? Is the door pull that much bigger you cant reach it??

1.) 'cause Chebbies had them on the door panel and

2) it's "classy."

It's been awhile since I checked in and there it is...a picture of my blue door panel! Yes, it has door handles today. I like to enjoy my car while I work on the restoration. I have been through all of the electrical and mechanical and all new interior from Clark's. I'm very pleased with the results so far.

I have started disassembly to work on body issues this past winter. I'm currently replacing the trunk pan and I have a little rust in the door jam as seen in the photo plus the lower quarter behind the rear wheel. A few steps at a time and drive it while the weather is nice. Hopefully I will get to paint this coming winter.

Anyway...sorry to hijack the thread but I hate to leave questions unanswered!

Ron

The power window and seat switches are different on the custom interior panels than what was used on the standard interior panels. Standard interior's had the window switches mounted on the door panels and as you have seen the custom has them on the arm rest. This goes for the rear as well. This also requires a different harness and the power seat switch is changed from the side of the seat to the arm rest also and again this is a different switch and connector. Changing out the harness is quite easy if you have the dash and everything else removed from the firewall. I discovered this when I wanted to add the power vent windows to my 65 with the custom interior. I also found the power window harness from a 1965 Electra is the same length and configuration as the Riviera thanks to Dick Sweeney.