Brake Issues

Mr. Anderson

So recently I have decided to get my brakes straightened out, which involved a new accumulator, new front calipers and pads, and a new rotor.

The accumulator job worked great, and made a huge difference. (Thanks to Ronnie and The Reatta Store for the part!)

Here's where it get interesting... I installed new front calipers and a new passenger-side rotor, and the brake pedal now travels all the way to the floor. I know that the pedal isn't supposed to (or shouldn't) go to the floor upon application. The car drives fine, but I basically have to stand on the brake pedal to slow down the car. I've also bled the fronts twice now and had very little change in pedal feel.

So my question is, what is going on here? Is the pump not building pressure for some odd reason? Thanks in advance.

I never let the reservoir get below half during the bleeding process, but I was afraid that some air might have gotten in the brakes. I don't know right off the top of my head about the red light, but I'll check here in a bit.

Thanks for the link, Mc!

Edit: Just checked the red light, and it look seven seconds for the red light to go out.

Edited by Mr. Anderson (see edit history)

Guest r_wright
I installed new front calipers and a new passenger-side rotor

Could it be a difference in rotor thickness? Rotors are normally installed in pairs on the same axle.

Could it be a difference in rotor thickness? Rotors are normally installed in pairs on the same axle.

Possibly, but the only reason that I didn't put a new rotor on the other side was because the driver side rotor looked so clean (the passenger one was scorched due to a failed caliper). The other new rotor is sitting on the shelf in the garage just in case though.

Is the fluid level going down? Maybe there is a leak in one of the new calipers?

Not that I know of. They were both bone-dry when I worked on them this afternoon, and that was after they had been on for a few days. As far as I know, the fluid level is remaining the same, because it remains at the full line when I check it.

So recently I have decided to get my brakes straightened out, which involved a new accumulator, new front calipers and pads, and a new rotor.

The accumulator job worked great, and made a huge difference. (Thanks to Ronnie and The Reatta Store for the part!)

Here's where it get interesting... I installed new front calipers and a new passenger-side rotor, and the brake pedal now travels all the way to the floor. I know that the pedal isn't supposed to (or shouldn't) go to the floor upon application. The car drives fine, but I basically have to stand on the brake pedal to slow down the car. I've also bled the fronts twice now and had very little change in pedal feel.

So my question is, what is going on here? Is the pump not building pressure for some odd reason? Thanks in advance.

It sounds to me like the brake pump isn't building pressure. A few questions need to be answered in order to find your problem.

1. After the car has been sitting overnight does the red brake light come on when you first turn the key on?
  2. Can you hear the brake pump start running when you turn the key on?
  3. Does the red brake light go out after about 30 seconds or does it stay on all the time?
  4. Have you bled the rear brakes using the procedure on ROJ?

Check a few things that are not associated with the work you did.

(1) turn on the ignition and verify the pump is running (probably is since the red light goes out)

(2) pump the pedal after the pump turns off.... how many pumps until it turns on?

My first thought is in working on the front brakes, you broke loose the inner lines on the brake hoses. This can be a fairly common problem on cars the age of ours.

The outside might look fine but when the inner line breaks, pieces can plug the line and affect brake performance.

The only secondary thought I have is you did not mention the car pulling in either direction..... this would indicate that BOTH hoses might be bad.....or.......the problem is upstream of the calipers.

If you have not already replaced the hoses, replace both and that eliminates one potential future problem.

rogold: I think the bleeders on the new calipers are on the bottom. I thought they only went that way, but I could have made the mistake of switching them.

Ronnie: Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Yes, the light comes on when the key is put to ON.

2. Yes, I can hear the brake pump run.

3. The red light goes out after about 7 (seven) seconds.

4. I have not bled the rears yet, but it is on the to-do list.

Barney: Here are some answers for your questions:

1. When the key is put to ON, the pump is running.

2. When the pump turns off, it takes three pumps of the pedal to turn the pump back on.

Also, the car does want to pull to the right when the brakes are applied, but I didn't know if that was because of the calipers not gripping the rotors evenly (new rotor on passenger side). I will be replacing the driver-side rotor soon so that there is even wear on both sides.

If you are talking about the flex hoses near the calipers, one of those hoses is fairly new. I believe the drivers-side one is newer.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I agree with rogold99. The very next thing to check is whether you reversed the calipers to the opposite side. Pull a wheel and see if the bleeder screw is over or under where the banjo bolt is holding the flex line. You'll never get them bled if it's below.