Best way to paint fan pulley?

CarNucopia

I'm in the process of putting the proper fan pulley on my car and want to prep it to last. It was coated with rust, which I have had success removing with Metal Rescue. The next step is prime and paint. Any suggestions on how I might get the best, longest lasting results. Unfortunately, the only way I have to paint it is with a spray can.

Thanks,

64C,

I painted mine with black enamel which is both primer and color in the same rattle can.

Let dry for 3 days in the sun, and then sprayed 2 coats of polyurethane satin clear. It is very gasoline proof now.

Mike in Colorado

Prep it by sand blasting would probably be best, but make sure the surface is really clean. Then get some good primer and then the paint.

If you have some time you could have it dipped & stripped if you are doing more parts and then powder coated.

It all comes down to how much time and money you want to spend.

:)

Guest minimoman

Blast it , use the product P O R 15. Brush it on , never paint it again. I have used it for 15 years on classic car restoration.

• 2 weeks later...

I was not a big fan of Rust-oleum until I tried Rust-oleum Professional high performance enamel, it coats well and dries faster than the "standard" Rust-oleum. About equal is ColorPlace Rust Control spray enamel but it is not carried by as many places. Big box and home centers have the Rust-oleum black in gloss, stain and flat.