65 taillights out!

RIVNIK

Greetings, While out for a nite-time cruise in the '65 I realized I had no taillights or dash lights.... Brake lights & blinkers work fine, courtesy lights, headlights, front parking lights all work. That points to a bad headlight switch in my estimation. Does that sound right to you guys? I installed a new one a few months ago and the reostat function never did work so I'm hoping it was just a crappy Chinese switch and maybe I can find one of those great Mexican ones everybody's talking about. Thanks to anyone who can confirm my suspicion or offer any other possibilities. Drew

Guest kaycee

I'd check the sockets on the tailights . I had the same problems on a 65 that I restored, and all the rear sockets needed replacement. Also check the wiring.

kaycee

Greetings, While out for a nite-time cruise in the '65 I realized I had no taillights or dash lights.... Brake lights & blinkers work fine, courtesy lights, headlights, front parking lights all work. That points to a bad headlight switch in my estimation. Does that sound right to you guys? I installed a new one a few months ago and the reostat function never did work so I'm hoping it was just a crappy Chinese switch and maybe I can find one of those great Mexican ones everybody's talking about. Thanks to anyone who can confirm my suspicion or offer any other possibilities. Drew

ALWAYS check the fuse first,

Tom Mooney

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. Brake lights & blinkers work fine so I figured the taillight sockets, which have recently been refurbished, should be OK, but I will recheck them......fuses are all good. The only thing I can think of that would also cause the dash lights to go out, aside from a coincidental failure in that circuit, would be the switch. How a switch failure would cause the taillights & dash lights to go out while other functions worked is a mystery, but I will dig deeper later today & report back. meanwhile, keep those ideas coming if you've got em. Drew

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi Drew,

Yes I would say it's the headlight switch (if the fuse is good), probabably a bad contact AND reostat. The bulbs are dual filiment and share a common ground. If one half of the light bulb works (the brake and turn filament side) then it must be the 12V not getting to the tailight filament portion of the bulb. Also like kaycee said see if the tailight socket contacts are not corroded. While it would be strange to have them both go out together, I have seen stranger things before. Mine were both bad and I since replaced them. The dash light issue is most likely the reostat part of the switch.

1#. Any time there is a problem ALWAYS check what was recently done, ESPECIALLY if someone else did the work!

2# If something doesn't work as expected, remove the improvements and restore the original design.

Bernie