The good old days - were they so good?

Hey, it ain't them space rockets with all their fire and smoke that's causing the problems. It's all them holes they punch in the sky when they goes up. frown.gif" border="0<P>I know thems the cause of all the cool leakin out and the heat comin in. It's them darn rockets and the holes they make. Aunt Maudie told me that was the problem way back in the '60s when I visited her in the swamps of South Florida. rolleyes.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0

Lawd 'a mercy! ain't nobodies gwine to mind them atom bombs an' hydergin bombs what we been a shootin' off like foth'a july since away back?<BR>Not only's amurrica bin doin' it we got damn near ebery industerized nayshun an' india too! an' them nuculer powa plants they's leakin' a pow'ful deal 'o crap upta dat atnasfear an' it commences on gettin' a hotter'n hotter folks use 'mo air condishiners what shoots 'da sky to hell eben more. 'po earth, I knowed ya well. shocked.gif" border="0

Hadn't checked in here in a couple of days and what a surprise when I did. I thought I had somehow stumbled onto Rush Limbaugh's site.

wink.gif" border="0 Stellite- no translation needed! I hear this everyday! I would correct you on one point. It ain't "bombs", it's "bumbs", like was dropped on Heemy-Jeemy back in nineteen-fo'ty-five tongue.gif" border="0<P>Dave@Moon- Had you seen as many abuses of the welfare system as I have, you would understand where I'm coming from. I have no problem with someone in genuinely dire straits thru no fault of their own receiving some help. But when I see people checking out of Food Lion with WIC vouchers and food stamps, then leaving in a new Caddy SUV, BMW, or Benz, that bugs me. Doesn't help that they are usually dressed in designer threads, with a passel of babies in tow. They have learned how to work the system and will tell you "I don't HAVE to work. You OWE me."<P>And that didn't happen in the good old days. <P>from Tobacco Road... RR (is Rush Right? confused.gif" border="0 )

Hey Rocket, We haven't finished paying them yet you know. All those farm hands from yesteryear now want their pay by way of something called repatriations. I just hope they show up in person, if I have to pay for it from my tax dollars, as my forefathers only had one "farm hand" and my ancester said his mule was worth more than the "hand" was Wayne

Rocketraider:<P>Yes there are abuses. There are people spuriously using environmental regulations to stop development in their area for their own reasons as well. However there is a baby in that bathwater, a really big, needy baby.<P>I'm not going to start denegrating and defacing churches because a few clergy abused their position. I'm not going to advocate anarchy because their are corrupt police. Clinton didn't stop me from voting, neither did Jeb Bush. (And I didn't throw away my antique license plates because a few clowns use them to commute to work.--O.K. Peter??? wink.gif" border="0 )<P>And as for the old days, when I start envying Tom Joad we'll talk more.<P>Remember:

Poor boy from the dust bowl great depression days in "grapes of wrath". By the way the Joads had an old Hudson they turned into a truck as I remember. Steinbeck rewarded himself with a couple of Packard convertibles after making a good bit of money on that book.

I have to disagree with J.T. on political content on the forum. By virtue of our cars need for public roads and limited resourses to function, we have to address these issues directly as a community on a continuing basis. <P>As a result, politics will be a continuing impact on our hobby as long as it exists. To ignore that wouldn't be wise.<P>-----------------------------------<P>Neither was it wise to negatively characterize people either individually or as a group on this thread, whoever did it.

Lord, all want's is some money to stake me a few tobaccy plants, and Lord, please make my luv sleep in the bed wit' me instead of on a pallet on the floor, that's all i want's. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Well now... I just read this thread and it is most interesting. I personally agree with all the comments about "humpty dumpty says the world-will-end if we don't all start living out of tents in the protected (by Econazis, of course) wilderness, etc, blah blah blah..."<P>I do have one, perhaps salient, non-racist, non-political observation to add to all of the above however, to wit:<P>With respect to rocket launches (something I happen to know about), I had a high ranking USAF General once say to a group of us not-so-high-ranking officers (like O-4 & below) that shooting off rockets and maybe blowing them up was good for the USA national economy. In particular, when one of those candles blew up spectacularly (or maybe secretly not so), it was EVEN BETTER for the USA economy because:<P>We had to build another one, of course for even more $$$. Therefore, lots of "rocket scientist"-type smart guys, who otherwise would have been flippin' burgers (because they were too highly educated to be employed in a REAL job), would instead be entertained solving all kinds of inscruitable problems and paid lots of $$$ to do so. The trickle-down effect is self-evident here. Lots of other people who would otherwise be on unemployment or welfare would be "gainfully" employed. That made sense to me at the time... and does so now, although I haven't been in the space biz since 1974... but that's another story with associated opinions. <P><BR>BTW: Webmaster: the link back function and link from front age does NOT work when there are multiple pages, like in this thread. Thought you'd like to know. [added on an edit]<p>[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: Craig LV ]

Guest Skyking

Dave, I also want to publicly apologize to the way I answered you on some of my replys. Sometimes the blood rushes to my head when I read back some answers and my fingers work faster than my mind. It's no excuse, but I'm sorry........ frown.gif" border="0

For the record, while I find the unfortunate comments made about various groups of people on this thread repulsive (and I find <I>all</I> the subsequent recantations to be sincere and heartfelt), I've not been personally offended by anyone on this thread. <P>These have all been attitudes that I've had to deal with daily since I started in that line of work. There is a great deal of misinformation put out there by those who have a lot to lose from our restraining ourselves for the sake of our planet. That is <I>exactly</I> where the impetus comes from for so-called "clunker legislation". Those who have a lot to lose by having to divert profit from their golden parachute accounts to cover stack scrubbers thought up the idea that they could go after old cars more cheaply. That's what "Don't Believe the Hype" was all about.<P>J.T.--What's a ditto head.<P>Sal--I typed and retyped that same posting 3 times during last night's controversy on this thread. I was concerned that people would put an ironic spin to the meaning that I didn't intend. I should've thought of adding the frownie face. Good show!<P>And while I'm at it, there's one last quote from Terry I wanted to comment on, when the time was right for a lighter note:<P><B>"Q- How do you recognize and environmentalist? A-He drives 60 miles in his SUV so he can ride his bicycle through the woods to attend a save the planet rally with 200 others. "</B> I don't know about you guys, but this is <I>exactly</I> how I recognize somebody running for office! rolleyes.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Dave@Moon: On 8/22/02 you stated that we have 5% of the waterfoul we had 100 years ago. Why would we want 95% more "Foul" droppings in our water supply today?

Guest Ray Newport

What i liked about the good olds days, was traveling old highways stopping at roadside fruit and veggies stands. Sometimes stopping at roadside cafes. Also i will never forget the Burma Shave signs. I get a good feeling think about those days when i was a kid.

Me too. <BR>Those Burma Shave signs were a high point. Even traveling over the up-and-down, around-the-curve roads of eastern Pensylvania in the back of Dad's Buick was fun in itself. In the back seat, my brother and I had an imaginary 'demilitarized zone' separating his side from mine. <BR>Speaking of signs, one in particular comes to mind, where a local farmer, using a dab of white paint and some imagination, transformed an ESSO sign into an EGGS sign.

Wasn't there a program on Route 66 a while back PBS? Seems like they visited lots of mom and pop places from the 50's/60's that were still around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Dave@Moon: On 8/22/02 you stated that we have 5% of the waterfoul we had 100 years ago. Why would we want 95% more "Foul" droppings in our water supply today?

</div></div>

[color:\\"red\\"] Do you have any idea what the 95% increase in humans, pigs, cattle, chickens, turkeys, and St. Bernards that occurred during the same period did to your water supply? [color:\\"blue\\"] I really think noone's going to get very far blaming environmental degradation on wild animals! [color:\\"green\\"] Besides, the waterfowl lived in an endangered environment that were then called swamps, the pathetic remains of which are now called "wetlands". [color:\\"brown\\"] These prehistoric habitats were and are useful in the biological filtering of said "fowl droppings", as well as our own. [color:\\"purple\\"] Now that material just runs through the soil straight to <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> drinking water well (or your city's well as the case may be).

You know, some newer cars do physically resemble duck droppings, so I guess that this is still car related. tongue.gif

J.T.--I spent Friday night in my car watching this weekend's #1 and #2 box office movies in the front seat of my car at the local drive-in. (my wife and I have outgrown using the backseat for anything except the cooler.) There is a lot more of "The Good Ol' Days" left than most people know. Watch for what's in your area <span style="font-weight: bold"> [color:\\"blue\\"] AND JOIN IN! </span>

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Dave,

Any chance that the drying up of wetlands is just part of the natural course of nature? Beaches erode. Land masses split apart to become continents. Glaciers slide into the sea. Maybe wetlands dry up. Maybe certain species are intended to become extinct.

It seems like I saw something about this on TV regarding the Everglades or maybe it was the Okefenokee. Acoording to the show, the scientists had about determined that it was just part of the natural evolution of the system. What's your take on this?

Hal,

Up until roughly 1980 there were little if any protections for wet areas. People just didn't like them, and they were among the last areas to receive serious study.

I got my Master's at Iowa State U. That state had seen it's resident waterfowl population shrink from over 150 species to 7 or 8 at one point. [color:\\"red\\"] HUGE portions of the mid-west farm states used to be wetland ares, and they were essentially all tile drained for agriculture during the first half of this century. If you live in an area of little physical relief (no big hills), and you don't live <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> near a major swamp, then you live in a tile drained area.

Other areas of the country, where the wetlands were confined to stream and river valleys, the swampy areas were nearly always the only flat places with navigable water access. Guess where they built all the industrial facilities or squeezed in whatever agriculture they could?

Civilized man has been at war with swamps since Day 1. Industrial man developed the weaponry in that war to obliterate the enemy. It was only afterwards that we found out we needed that enemmy, and had to protect what little is left.

JT: Check it out:

These drive-ins were listed as within 30 miles of Charlotte on mapsonus.com:

[color:\\"blue\\"] Belmont Drive-In Theatre, 704-825-6044, 314 Mcadenville Rd, Belmont, NC 28012-2424

Bessemer City Drive-In Theatre, 704-739-2150, 1365 Bessemer City Rd, Kings Mountain, NC 28086

These were listed within 10 miles of Charlotte, but may be drive-in restraunts (I couldn't tell), still a cool place for an old car:

[color:\\"purple\\"] Town & Country Drive-In, 704-333-0189, 2441 Wilkinson Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28208-5613

Herlocker Park Drive-In, 704-547-0036, 9701 N Tryon St, Charlotte, NC 28262-8482

Hinsons Drive-In, 704-847-9506, 12420 E Independence Blvd, Matthews, NC 28105-4118

And these were listed as active drive-ins in NC as of this yeas on driveintheater.com:

[color:\\"blue\\"] Badin Road Drive In Theatre

2411 Badin Road, Albemarle, NC 28001 (704) 983-4882

Belmont Drive-In Theatre

314 McAdenville Road, Belmont, NC 28012 (704) 825-6044

Starlite Drive-In Theater

2523 E. Club Blvd. Durham, NC 27704 (919) 688-1037

Eden Drive-In

106 Fireman Club Rd. Eden, N.C. 27288 (336) 623-9669

Fort Drive-In Theatre 1 2 & 3

Sycamore Square, Fayetteville, NC 28303 (910) 867-4517

Tri-City Drive-In Theatre

North State Rd, Forest City, NC (828) 245-0071