Pre-purchase inspections in PA

Guest wkenyon

Guest wkenyon

I'm new to the AACA, and a member of the ROA for a few years. I'm considering buying a 64 Riviera located in Pennsylvania and want to get an inspection of the vehicle pre-purchase. Any recommendations for reliable inspectors in eastern PA? Thanks in advance for guidance.

Had I of known then what I know now, KS to AZ would have been a doable trip so that I could have checked the car out myself. I had a friend who checked it out for me and said "all is well" except the AZ sun has baked the paint and interior. I bought it, had it transported to KS and it sat in my garage for five years. I saw it everyday and worked on it. It wasn't until I took it to the body shop to get it ready for paint did I find all of the hidden shoddy body work. You can never tell just by looking and poking what you're getting into. IMHO, a clean complete service record and car history is worth a thousand pictures and someone else's opinion.

Ed

Guest clamshells

I recently hired a appraiser, he was good with a mil-gauge, knew to look for leaks and cosmetic flaws but didn't know the antenna mounted on top of fender was incorrect for 63-65. He didn't see things wrong I could see in pics. He argued and told me a I was wrong..blah, blah, blah. I wasn't pleased with him he rated the car a 3.7 but the underwriting team caught most of his oversights and closed the appraisal the car was a 2.8. That guy they sent to see the car I was interested in might know Chevelle and Corvette, Charger and Cuda but didn't know a Rivi from his nose.

I've had two guys go see a car for me in Canada, both say its amazing, but again it isn't their money. You have to really feel out the seller and talk to that person several times and get hundreds of pics but nothing like sitting in the drivers seat.

Over the years I have checked my club rosters and looked for an owner of a similar car in a nearby zip code. Although it has been a while 50 bucks was an appreciated reward. Today I would probably bump it to at least $100.

Here is a car that was advertised in the classified ads for Good Guys: f0099.JPG

I looked in my Cadillac club rooster and found a person with a '56 Caddy and two hearses. I figured his interests were eclectic enough. The car was inspected to my satisfaction; he even knew a transporter. I did about $250 of work when it arrived and the new owner ran the wheels off it going to every show and cruise around.

Use the resources of the Club.

Bernie