Simpler way to replace headlights?

JanZverina

I've been in the process of refurbishing the grille and headlight assemblies on my '63 - removal, deep cleaning, judicial respraying, and of course soft-steelwooling the chromed areas back to chrome. I also opted to put in four new halogen headlights, and let me just say that they come out a lot easier than they go in! Not wanting to disturb the alignment screws, I had to use a length of piano wire and some muscle to pull up the springs enough to hook them back into the retaining rings. Nothing in the service manual about a procedure, special tools, etc. I managed all four, but is there a trick or a specific sequence to installing them?

:confused:

I have never had that problem replacing a sealed beam headlight.

You remove the little screws that hold the bezel on and they pop right out in your hand.

Reverse to replace. Just be sure to get the square tab on the back of the new bulb to sit down in the notch in the bulb holder and you are good.

Keen-eyed observers will note that the fuel hose is misrouted below the gas filter. (too close to the alt belt.) I've since rerouted it through the alternator bracket as before. Is this correct on a '63?

See shop manual.

Is your fuel filter being held in a bracket?