Windshield/Rear Glass install

alini

Im ready to do the glass, glass is cleaned and pinch welds are cleaned. I have made my own spacers. the service manual says to use a caulking gun (I would use Urethane if I went this method), but I have seen guys (and the car came from the factory with) butyl tape. I know the Urethane is stronger and current cars with unibody construction need the strength. I have read the opinion that butyl tape isnt strong enough for the rear glass.

So whats everyones opinion?? What size butyl tape is right (seen so many sizes) and is it strong enough to do the rear window?

Guest clamshells

I had the front and back glass out of my 66 I used the rope and had no problems. I don't recall them asking what size, just what year car. A good auto body and paint supply store should know.

Been using the 3M Ribbon Sealer (round) Auto Glass Replacement Kit for many years with no problem. You can caulk around the outside after installation if you want some extra insurance. There may be modern material that are superior but this kit makes it simple for the DIYS'r. If a caulking is used instead of the round ribbon sealer make sure the glass is at the right depth so the trim seats properly.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I have used both 5/16 and 3/8" on 66/67s. Both worked but I felt the 3/8 was a tad too big so personally prefer the 5/16. Unfortunately can't say for sure if the 65 would be exactly same or not.

Thanks, I'll try it and see how it goes. the service manual specs for the spacers has them at or close to 5/16 so that would make sense, but wanted to see whats been used in the past

Guest Kaber

I had never done this until last summer. I found 3M tape at Advance Auto and it worked great!

Kaber

Installed both windshield and rear glass today with the help of my wife. Laid 5/16ths butyl tape on the rear frame first, using suction cup holders I borrowed we laid the glass as centered as we could using only the spacers from the tape kit. Pressed on the glass and you can see the tape making contact to the glass. We ensured 100% positive contact all the way around and 'paddled' the tape pushing under the glass a bit to get even better contact. Then we threw in the moldings and moved to the front. If you have feared glass install....dont the butyl tape is clean and simple to use. Dont think we took an hour for both.

windshield.JPG

rearglass.JPG

paddling the sealant is the process of pressing the round sealant and squaring it up to ensure the most contact to the surfaces for sealing. Because the sealant tape is round, pressing the glass against it will flatten it but the edges not touching the glass are still round, so your press them which pushes sealant against the frame and glass and gives you the most contact with both surfaces.

Ahhhh…learn something new everyday. I will be down this road in the near future…thx for sharing

David

So would you still go with the 5/16th?

Would it have been better to use square butyl tape and not the round?

I am about to do this and purchased square 3/8" butyl tape, yet may return for the 5/16"

Thanks

Good job Chris. did you use your glass you removed or new glass? If you reused, was yours in decent shape and how did you clean it? I'll probably be doing this soon and my glass is sound but just looks old, especially when the sun hits it ( spider webs in glass ). I would like to polish mine with something if it would work. I've seen stuff from Eastwood about polishing, I have no chips or deep scratches just a little hazy. Also, what tool did you use to remove your trim? thanks, Joey

Guest Riviera Swede

If installing rear window you MUST do drill a 1/4'' hole in each lower corner and insert a stainless tube in each corner, where you put a hose that leads you down to the rubber plug so at the sides under the body. All rivieras rust in the lower lower corner.Jag can assist with drawing of how it should look.

My glass was fine, I carefully removed it with the typical wire tool. I simply scraped all the old sealant off with a razor blade and cleaned the glass with standard glass cleaner and it came up nicely.

Thanks for the tip Riviera Swede but I live in Las Vegas, the car will get more water on it from washing then from rain ;) But good tip for anyone who lives in damp environments.